No announcement yet.

Promotion to DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion to DC

I'm trying to promote a Windows Server 2003 box to a DC (in an SBS domain) via dcpromo, yet I keep getting the following error:

Active Directory is already being installed or removed on this computer. That operation must finish before another may be attempted.

Now, I assume this is because I did start the process a few days earlier, but then stopped it. I've tried rebooting to no avail. How can I tell it to forget about the earlier attempt?

Re: Promotion to DC

I dont have any experience in SBS but I always thought that you couldn't have two DC's in an SBS environment. You could only have one DC which is the SBS server itself.

If you want two DC's then you need the full version of windows 2003!

I hope I'm right

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

You're incorrect according to this page:

and in addition to that:
      Originally posted by danielp
      SBS has some nasty restrictions. One of them is that it wants to be the first DC in the domain. You CAN add additional DCs to the domain, but I think you MUST install the SBS first (I might be wrong on this issue, it's been long since I last touched SBS). Anyway, you CAN use SBS as your Exchange server, and you can have another DC (Win2003 or W2K) in the same domain.
      Last edited by mick; 2nd December 2005, 13:51.

I've just read here

it says:

See the wizard going through the various stages of installing AD. Whatever you do - NEVER click Cancel!!! You'll wreck your computer if you do. If you see you made a mistake and want to undo it, you'd better let the wizard finish and then run it again to undo the AD.
        Cancel is what I did Where to from here?

sounds of reinstalling you're OS....

goodluck with it.
          Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"