Are SBS2000 Cals available anywhere?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are SBS2000 Cals available anywhere?

1st Post here. I've been on the forum before and have found countless solutions to issues I've had in the past. Suffice it to say, this forum has been wonderful to me over the years.

Here's my issue.

I have an older SBS2000 server with 25 cals. I cannot upgrade it since it is running software that requires it to remain in the sbs2000 environment. I need to add more Cals, but everywhere I turn is a dead end. Interested in hearing if anyone has a work around for acquiring and installing addition client add packs for sbs2000 server.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Are SBS2000 Cals available anywhere?

I doubt it but your best bet would be to contact an SBS licencing guru at MS as you MAY get downgrade possibilities.

Also i'm moving this to the dedicated SBS forum.

Comment

Doubt they would go 3 previous versions.
      Can you move the problem software to a regular Server 2000, and then upgrade the SBS? That may be your best bet
      Last edited by teiger; 23rd February 2012, 01:18. Reason: Typo
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You can do one thing. You can use one more SBS as a CAl within the limit of 25 and with that additional server you can use the increased CALs. I hopr you got my point. Moreover, note that SBS CALs cover access to all servers in the SBS domain _up to_ the version of SBS. They do not cover access to later version servers.
        So, SBS08 CALs cover access to anything up to, and including, Windows Server 08 (non R2).
        SBS11 CALs would cover 08R2 servers.
        SBS00 CALs _never_ covered access to Server03. (AFAICR, there may have been an exception I have forgotten)

Originally posted by mugjw1 View Post
        1st Post here. I've been on the forum before and have found countless solutions to issues I've had in the past. Suffice it to say, this forum has been wonderful to me over the years.

Here's my issue.

I have an older SBS2000 server with 25 cals. I cannot upgrade it since it is running software that requires it to remain in the sbs2000 environment. I need to add more Cals, but everywhere I turn is a dead end. Interested in hearing if anyone has a work around for acquiring and installing addition client add packs for sbs2000 server.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

I think the problem is more with buying the (discontinued) CALs (limit was 50 IIRC so "adding an additional SBS" won't really help)

Old but may still be valid: http://msmvps.com/blogs/javier/archi.../29/40057.aspx
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X