Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Active Directory Failure!

Morning guys,

Noticed a few errors on an SBS server this morning all to do with no being able to contact the domain. Opened DNS all looks good but restarted it anyway. Tried to open Active Directory User & Computers and got the error :-

"naming information cannot be located because: the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

I remembered somthing to do with SYSVOL & NETLOGON. SYSVOL is there but not shared, scripts (NETLOGON) is missing altogether....

Is there anyway to rebuild/replace automatically??

Many thanks

Dave

EDIT:

I've recovered both folders from a recient backup (2 days ago) and reset up the shares but each time I re-start Active Directory it removes the shares????
    Last edited by QuattroDave; 9th February 2012, 15:24.

Re: SBS 2008 Active Directory Failure!

Download and run the SBS 2008 BPA. Most likely cause is that your server has gone into Journal Wrap which causes the NETLOGON and SYSVOL shares to disappear.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hiya,

BPA - Best Practices Analyser? Whats journal wrap and how do I get out of that, or will BPA tell me?

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

BPA is indeed Best Practices Analyser and it will tell you how to fix it. You can also check the event logs, think it's the FRS log on 2008. If you do have a journal wrap error the fix is in the event details, about the only helpful message you're likely to see in an event log.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Download the BPA as cruachan suggested. If it is indeed a journal wrap issue then follow this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290762.
          If there is another DC in the domain and it's healthy do a non-authoritative restore, if it's the only DC then do the authoritative restore.

Also, make sure you have the proper exemptions for you antivirus product configured. If not configured correctly it can cause the journal wrap issue.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X