Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually migrate from SBS2003 to SBS2011

Hi Experts,

I have a SBS2003 STD running for a long time now. I bought SBS2011 to replace the old software.

Long story short; Build in migration did not work for me as it gives an error on installing Exchange 2010. Called Microsoft for support and untill now they didn't manage to resolve this issue. My SBS2003 crashed so I had to fall back on a virtual clone i made the night before. Now the MS Exchange support team can't help me anymore because they don't support Exchange 2003 in a virtual environment.

My questions:

I decided to migrate manually. Some dude from MS told me that this can be done.

- Can I just do a fresh install of SBS2011 and add it to the SBS2003 domain, then go through the whole migration process of transferring the FSMO roles, migrate mailboxes with exmerge etc. etc.??

- When I perform a fresh install of SBS2011 I have to create a domain, as the SBS2011 machine has to be a DC. How can i add it to the SBS2003 domain as the machine is allready in its own somain after installation?

Re: Manually migrate from SBS2003 to SBS2011

Hi,

SBS 2011 STD in this OS in build exchange, this is the reason it gives an error on installing Exchange 2010. You need to create a new domain, because the SBS 2011 STD default feature of Primary DC. When you starting the SBS 2011 installation there are some step in installation for new domain & inbuild Exchange install. Then after you transfer your FSMO rules from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

Thanks,

Comment

get a swing migration kit.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        get a swing migration kit.
        Told Svenster this already in his post of march 5 with the exact
        same question

Comment

But it won't solve his problem unless he restores his original SBS 2003 in order to start again - it says both in Swing and MS docs that you have to start from a (relatively) clean working (especially AD) 2003 before even thinking of starting to migrate.
          IMHO you should also build some virtual clones and practice a couple of times first.
          Last edited by teiger; 19th March 2012, 00:26. Reason: Typos
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X