Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exch 2010 / w3wp, revisited

Hey guys,

Judging from the picture, are there any suggestions to help curb the ram used by w3wp? or exchange?

or should I just get the company to purchase more RAM?(I rather fight a lion naked than this one)
    Attached Files

Re: Exch 2010 / w3wp, revisited

Exchange will use more memory than it needs by design. Unless there is a performance issue, I would say there is enough memory already. Exchange appears to be using half of if and will give memory back as and when the system requires it.

Comment

Theres a big performance issue (or so I'm told)

but having 98% of ram is killing it.

..if I put 10, 20, heck.. 30 more gb of ram in there, will it still use 90+%?

Comment

The W3WP.exe processes are eating a bit of memory these are generally used by IIS.

I would check the internet Information services manager, then expand websites and check what websites you have running and stop the ones you don't need.

EG: if you have an SBS server and don't use share point you can switch that one off and that will give you a little performance back, but if you are runnning internal or external websites from there then you maybe over loading the box with more roles than it can handle.

Comment

As you have Exchange, there is a good chance that Exchange will use the extra memory allocated.

What is the reported performance issue?

Comment

its a full sbs server.
            Is there a way to LIMIT w3wp or exchange?

I mean, if exchange is so greedy, then stopping all the w3wp sites would just give more for exchange to eat, correct?

..it just makes no sense!

Comment

This is normal for Exchange, and not modifiable. It will use RAM when available, and give it up quickly and easily. Honestly, not worth loosing sleep over!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What he said! (Ossian)
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Exchange will use more memory than it needs by design. Unless there is a performance issue, I would say there is enough memory already. Exchange appears to be using half of if and will give memory back as and when the system requires it.
                  And of course me, so 3 of us saying the same with regards to Exchange 2010 memory.

Comment

Working...
                  X