No announcement yet.

Connect to computers direct with RDP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect to computers direct with RDP

I have a genaral question.
    I want to connect to computers in a 2008 environment directly.
    In earlier environments it was possible to directly connect to the computers using a vpn connection.

From the 2008 version we have to first connect to the server and from the server we connect to the local pc`s.

I think there must be a better we to do this, can somebody tell me how to do this?

Re: Connect to computers direct with RDP

The idea is you connect to the server using https and then remote access over that -- zero configuration, minimal user training and maximum security.

VPNs are still available IIRC -- you may need to install the role first -- as is direct connection over port 3389 to the server (or clients depending on port forwarding on your router)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Configuring the VPN is still available through a wizard in the SBS console.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SBSVPN.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	466448

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

First of all, let me say that RWW/RWA is the best way to go.
        There is also a way that if certain stations have a constant IP and that 3389 is opened on the router/firewall, you can get to the stations directly.

Let's say STATION1, STATION2 and STATION3 are, .13 and .14 respectively.
        Then in the firewall you configure anything coming in on port 3390 to be redirected to port 3389 on ie STATION1
        Similarly redirect port 3391 to 3389 on and port 3392 to 3389 on
        So you would connect to STATION1 directly by using RDP to etc.
        You would need to limit the RDP to a single IP or known list, or it would be pretty unsafe and open to attack (Google TSGRINDER)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.