Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare metal backup installation

Hello and thanks for reading,

We are in a small office with 15 users working with a Small Business Server 2008. Everything works very well. I make a daily backup and swap the USB disk weekly. This is the only server we have and I'd like to be sure that we could rapidly recover if the server fails.

I have one spare HP workstation WX4600 with enough RAM, would it be possible to use it in case of a server hardware failure?. I've tried to restore the server backup on it and it gave me a hardware failure (I believe it's related to the RAID configuration). I just wanted to know if you believe it can work if I manage to setup a similar RAID configuration?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Jud

Re: Bare metal backup installation

I can't say if it will or not. If HP has all the proper drivers for the OS then probably...

You'll need to make sure the hard drive configuration is the same as the server and that the disk space is as much or more than the server.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yet another reason to go the virtual machine route - it neutralises the Hardware problems.
      However you should be able to restore to a standart SATA disk as that driver is always part of the system.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you very much for the answer. I'll try to do it using the workstation. I don't have enough experience with the "virtual world", I have a couple of VM for two remote users but nothing else I'll try to learn ASAP

Best regards and have a nice day,

Jud

Comment

Hi Jud, I use a program called Shadow Protect to backup our servers, I find this product great, it will allow you to do an independant hardware restore on any hardware or you can use it to create a virtual machine on your workstation if needed, it will also allow you to mount any backup image in minutes. I think Symantec has a similar product, just remember to use NT backup to get a backup of the system state.

Comment

Thanks a lot Sledge.

I'll download the Shadow Protect demo trial to test it !

By the way, I also wanted you to know that the SBS2008 system restore to the HP XW4600 workstation worked well!. I had to set up the same RAID configuration in the workstation (2x1TB RAID1 + 2x2TB RAID1), and then downloaded the RAID driver from the Intel website to load it in the restore process.

Thanks for your help.

jud

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

No Worries JUd I was glad to have helped, when you do the restore from your back up to another peice of hardware you can just tick the independant hardware restore and then it will load the best driver for that peice of hardware then you can change it later if needed but all in all a great tool.

Comment

Working...
                X