Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 + Server 2008 - reformat SBS

Hi,

We have a SBS 2008 (If I recall correctly was the premium package the came with the free Server 2008 licence), set up as a primary server and the S2008 as a secondary server (as a fail-safe in case the primary fails) and over a dozen client machines in the network.

Anyways, the SBS is about to collapse (running out of disk space, the install may have been corrupted by some third party that didn't know what they were doing, etc.)

So it was decided to backup the LOB data, set it up on the secondary server so the LOB keeps working while we do maintenance, and remove the SBS machine, for a full reformat, clean install of SBS2008, then we want to put the SBS machine back into the network as it was before.

Is there any step-by-step documentation for this procedure?

If not what would be the best approach to do so avoiding pitfalls?

Thanks in advance and regards!

Re: SBS 2008 + Server 2008 - reformat SBS

So far the closest thing I have found to what we want to do is this:
    Small Business Server 2003 and Small Business Server 2008 have to be Primary domain controller in the domain Small Business Server product are an integrated product with Exchange SharePoint, and IIS installed on the same server along with Active directory
    So whatever reason it might be we should not Dcpromo down Small Business Server as this will break the integration of the various installed application on Small Business Server
    Hence Dcpromo down and re-promoting the same Small Business Server is not supported
    If Dcpromo down has been run on the Small Business Server the only supported mean to promote it back as domain controller is to rebuild the server starting fresh
    If you have and additional domain controller in the domain which is always recommended we could follow to join Small Business Server 2003 to an existing active directory domain.
    For Small Business Server 2008 should be followed
    So I could:
    1) Demote the current SBS2008
    2) transfer all the roles to the S2008
    3) format the SBS machine and clean install SBS using the "join Small Business Server 2008 to an existing active directory domain" documentation, but the documentation link is broken...

There is also a "Migrate to Windows Small Business Server 2008 from Windows Small Business Server 2008" but this assumes you are upgrading your hardware, you have two machines: one currently running sbs2008 and the new one where you migrate to, after you set up the new one you remove the old machine.
    Last edited by K40s; 12th January 2012, 21:10.

Comment

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I the best method would be to do the SBS to SBS migration process.

You could create a full backup of your current SBS server, restore it to a VM and then migrate the VM to a fresh install on the original hardware.

You can also look at doing a Swing Migration http://www.sbsmigration.com/ which would be ideal for your scenario. But it's not free.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I the best method would be to do the SBS to SBS migration process.

You could create a full backup of your current SBS server, restore it to a VM and then migrate the VM to a fresh install on the original hardware.

You can also look at doing a Swing Migration which would be ideal for your scenario. But it's not free.
        Hi JeremyW, thanks for the reply, but I'm not really interested in recovering or migrating anything from the SBS server, the installation it's quite corrupted, let's just assume the SBS got toasted, I still have a secondary 2008 standard server running on the network, it's a replica domain controller, users can authenticate through it, it resolves DNS, etc...

I just want to make a new SBS server from scratch and have it seize the currently existing Active Directory forest, so I don't have to create all the machines, and users, and passwords, and configure the DNS again...

All this information is replicated in the second Domain Controller running 2008 standard, it makes sense that in a SHTF scenario (the primary SBS server hard drive got fried, for example) you can just set up a new SBS machine and have it seize control of the already existing AD, right?

Just so you now how corrupted the SBS install is, it has no disk space, like 35GB of disk space are lost and nowhere to be found, folder size isn't reporting correctly, the data moving wizards are broken, it won't run SourceTool since it doesn't have SP2, and when I try to install SP2 it says it has no space although I freed like 9GB...

I have no interest in recovering this SBS install, I just migrated the LOB applications to the secondary server, and are running fine, I just want to repartition the SBS machine hard drives, low-level format them and do a clean install that seizes the current AD forest.

During the SBS setup I remember seeing something about choosing an existing forest, but never really done it like that, is there documentation to install this way?
        Last edited by K40s; 16th January 2012, 05:16.

Comment

You will need to use an answer file to do the install to have it join an existing domain. Is there any Exchange data that you need? If not then it might be pretty easy...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Look over the SBS 2008 to SBS 2008 migration to get an idea of what you'll need to do. Omit the parts that don't apply... but you may want to get a consultant to take a look at it if you're not comfortable with modifying the migration plan.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is the AD healthy? It sounds like it is as your users are logging in OK on the secondary server. However, that AD already contains Exchange information and there is no easy way to remove that and get back to just plain Server 2008. OTOH I don't think that the answer file is of any use to you as you will have no existing SBS that you wish to migrate. sbsmigration.com is not free but, for $200 you will get hand-holding support to run you through the project, as you try to recover your system. What do you intend to do with your Exchange data?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              OTOH I don't think that the answer file is of any use to you as you will have no existing SBS that you wish to migrate.
              I've done a few 2003 Std to SBS 2008, 2008 Std to SBS 2008 and the way I've had to get the new SBS on the existing domain was to use the answer file. Is there another way to get the SBS server to join the existing domain or are you recommending building a new domain?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I read the migrating form SBS 2008 to SBS 2008 scenario, and it involves gracefully decommissioning the old sbs machine, you need to have it live on the network while you install the new SBS one using an answer file and you need to prepare the network beforehand...

So far it seems this is my best bet:

How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory domain

It involves clean installing SBS and stopping the installation procedure during the phase of SBS configuration and taking it from there manually to seize control of the already existing AD.

It's for SBS 2003 and SBS 2003-based operative systems which I'm assuming SBS 2008 is, since there isn't a document like that specifically for SBS 2008, or at least I haven't found it...

The AD is healthy, the users are authenticating perfectly fine using the seconda server that runs Windows Server 2008 standard.

No problem with exchange, we weren't using the service anyways because of the disk space constraints, so nothing to recover there.

We will be setting up exchange in the new setup since we expanded the disk space.

We are secure erasing the hard drives on the primary right now, plan to rebuild the disk array and install SBS 2008 following the above document, will let you know how it goes.
                Last edited by K40s; 17th January 2012, 20:12.

Comment

SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 setup is very different. You can't follow the 2003 instructions. You'll need to use an answer file (unless Steven knows of a different way) to be able to join it to an existing domain.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 setup is very different. You can't follow the 2003 instructions. You'll need to use an answer file (unless Steven knows of a different way) to be able to join it to an existing domain.
                    But the answer file is created by the old SBS machine in a migration scenario... in my scenario I don't have an old SBS machine...

It's like it died and I'm left with the secondary server only, and I'm reintroducing a SBS machine to a network that used to have a SBS machine (now dead) and a live second server and the clients running on the second server...

Did I miss something in the migration scenario? it gave me the impression that you need both SBS machines live and running to do the install using an answer file.

For example when you are introducing a new server with new hardware and you'll migrate your current SBS server to the new hardware, after you are done you decommission the old hardware, and reuse it for other purpose, like a second or third server running a standard server.

In this case I don't have new hardware, it's the same machine, I'm not moving the SBS install from one machine to another, so I don't really see how I'm supposed to use the answer file??

Comment

You can launch the SBSAfg.exe from any computer. Open the CD and go to Tools\SBSAfe.exe. You can migrate from a variety of sources (like I noted above where I've done migrations from Std versions).

You only need to run the migration prep tool if you're migrating from an SBS 2003 server.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You can launch the SBSAfg.exe from any computer. Open the CD and go to Tools\SBSAfe.exe. You can migrate from a variety of sources (like I noted above where I've done migrations from Std versions).

You only need to run the migration prep tool if you're migrating from an SBS 2003 server.
                        You're right, the SBS 2008 setup won't allow me to choose a forest, it only asks for the answer file.

I created the answer file, formated and did a clean install in the SBS machine, it detects the answer file but the setup fails with an error: FATAL: DCPromo_JoinDomain, server coudn't promote the server to a domain controller...

Do I need to do something on the source server??

I already disabled the DHCP on the router, installed and enabled it on the source server (i'm trying a new answer file using "DHCP is on the Source server" now)
                        I enabled UPnP in the router too.

In the AD in the source server there still is a machine registered with the name I'm trying to use on the destination server, and the same ip too, since is the machine I'm replacing... do I need to erase the server machine from the AD in the source server??

any ideas?
                        Last edited by K40s; 19th January 2012, 22:35.

Comment

Are you using the Server 2008 Std as the source server?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Are you using the Server 2008 Std as the source server?
                            Yes, but I never transfered any roles from the dead SBS machine or anything like that.

I checked the log files at:
                            C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs\
                            The "Errors.log" file says:
                            FATAL: DcPromo_JoinDomain: The server was not promoted to a domain controller.
                            and the "DCPromo_120119.155434.log" file says:
                            You cannot install an additional domain controller at this time because the RID master %computername%.domainname.local is offline
                            Maybe I do need to have the Server 2008 Std (source server) forcibly seize the FSMO roles or at least the RID role??? like described here: http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

Also remove the dead SBS machine from the AD???
                            Last edited by K40s; 21st January 2012, 01:31.

Comment

Yes, you need to do the metadata cleanup and seize the FSMO roles before you do the migration. You should also make sure your AD is healthy before starting the migration.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X