Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from pop connector to proper exchange and external security setup

Hi guys,

We've fineally bitten the bullet and will be moving away from pop connecting email to a proper exhcange setup. Just wanted to check the correct way to go about setting this up as our dns is hosted\managed externally.

When we actually redirect our mail through to the external mail security company they are going to as me to point our mx record to thier servers - correct? What would I need in prerperation for this to be a smooth transition? Do I leave the pop connector running as it will just not pop anything down once we have moved the mail? Does mx record along with the dns move internally or stay external just with the correct config?

Thanks

Re: Migrating from pop connector to proper exchange and external security setup

Just need to change the external MX records to point to the correct servers and make sure port 25 is forwarded to your server - it may not be if you were using the POP connector.

Also check about smarthosts - most hosted email security companies also allow you to send outbound email through them.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We have 2 external IP address's, is it feasable to use them both in this kind of scenario? Our router can fail over automatically but obviously the IP in which the mail security company recieve from will flag as different?

Thanks

Comment

You can give both IPs to the security company and so long as port 25 forwards to the same server it'll work inbound. Outbound doesn't matter if you are sending through a smarthost as the recipient will do any reverse DNS checking on the smarthost and not on your server.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Does anything need changing on the SBS server or do I just literally stop the pop connector task from pulling the mail down once we've migrated?

Thanks

Comment

yep just stop the pop connector.

the security server will amake inbound connections to port 25 on your public ips.

they'll also let you know if there are problems (mimecast for instance sends spool alerts if it cannot reach designated endpoints)
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I would re-run the Internet wizard - just to make sure you have everything set up correctly and that port 25 will accept mail on your server. If you don't use uPnP on your router (and I don't), then make sure it is also set up to pass prt 25 - preferably limited to the IP addresses of your security company.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X