Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge -> sbs2011?

Good morning guys!

Apparently TMG cannot be installed on sbs2011, and it must be set up on an edge server..

I'm okay with that, but being born in the land of sbs, I've never had to use more than one server!

I can install exchange for edge transport mode, but how exactly do I configure it?
    I can't seem to find the right documentation online for what I want to do..

thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Edge -> sbs2011?

TMG can be installed on a regular Exchange 2010 HT server, but since you have SBS, it may be different

To configure the edge server, create an edge subscription on the ET, import it onto the HT and run the "start-edgesynchronization" cmdlet (lots of docs on )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Google isn't showing me exactly what I'm looking for..

basically, I want a Server 2008 r2 server that controls DHCP, DNS, and TMG...

turning out to be a bit more of a challenge than anticipated.

gotta love sbs

Comment

Originally posted by nharvey View Post
        basically, I want a Server 2008 r2 server that controls DHCP, DNS, and TMG...
        gotta love sbs
        No you don't.

TMG should NOT have any roles other than TMG or Edge Transport. Keep DHCP on the SBS box and don't add the DNS role to the TMG box.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You already have DNS on your SBS anyway... or are you talking about public DNS?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            No you don't.

TMG should NOT have any roles other than TMG or Edge Transport. Keep DHCP on the SBS box and don't add the DNS role to the TMG box.

Thank you, oh wise one.

I thought it would be okay, but I will just leave TMG & Edge on the box.

So I have TMG & Edge installed on the box, and it is fully-updated.

..how do I configure it now? I'll check google, but any help here is appreciated- most answers on google are half baked, and I trust yall on this forum!

Comment

What exactly are you wanting to configure?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

TMG wise, you'll need an Internet Access Rule to allow clients to connect outbound, an SMTP Server publishing rule, an Outbound SMTP access rule (only allow the SBS box to send outbound SMTP) and rules for whatever Exchange services you are publishing to the outside world. Use the TMG wizards wherever possible.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  What exactly are you wanting to configure?

I would just like to have a box that filters, configures, and protects the main server / email / client pcs

Comment

Working...
                  X