Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary C:\ Directory keeps running out of disk space

Hi,

Our company use a Small Business Server 2008 standard edition as a file server/email server and DC. We are actually experiencing an out of disk on the C:\ directory. I've moved the WSUS,Exchange,sharepoint database to another partition. Please help

Regards,
    Jerry

Re: Primary C:\ Directory keeps running out of disk space

grab TreeSizeFree, download it, run it, and see what's using the space.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Show hidden files and look for windows updates
      Check exchange log files are moved (and being truncated after backups)
      As said, use TreeSize and report back
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, will revert back ASAP problem solved

Comment

treesize is a Fantastic tool !
          someone else has suggested WinDirStat to me before.. I tend to find TSF a bit quicker.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Don't forget that you can move the Pagefile to a different partition.

Also, deleted and TMP files or ones with a ~ (tilde) in front of them.
            Any compressed update files under the Windows folder can be deleted but ONLY the blue compressed ones. Do not delete $hf_mig$ file.
            [EDIT] Ignore the above line. I thought it was an SBS 2003 Server. Didn't read the Form Title correctly. op:
            Last edited by biggles77; 15th December 2011, 14:30.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Run the SBS BPA as well, it will point out things like the Sharepoint database file getting large and any other configuration issues.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

OP stated he moved all the data files. Did he UTFW to move them, though?
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

i was asked recently if someone could "move the wsus and users folder somewhere else" as it's cluttering up the root of the D: drive.

.... "uh.... possibly, but don't go and just do it.. leave it with me and i'll work out a way"

Comment

There are a few bits here too: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...09(WS.10).aspx

Comment

The first thing you need to do is identify what is consuming the disk space. After you moved WSUS, EXCHANGE etc to another drive, how much disk space did you have free and at what rate did it fill up again?

Where are you backing up to?
                      How much Memory does the server have and what virtual memory settings do you have set?

We need more input !!

Cheers,

Comment

There should be wizards to move user data, WSUS etc
                        (replying to #9 above)
                        Last edited by Ossian; 8th January 2012, 21:32.
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are. But he should still do an analysis (like treesize) to find out what is using up the disk space.
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X