Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

connect wizard adding password to PST file?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect wizard adding password to PST file?

I came across an odd issue today. I'm working on a greenfields installation of SBS 2011 Standard for a client. The setup of the server went well, no problems, nothing unusual. Apart from some issues with internet access (Serviced office, no individual public IP yet.. despite having discussed it a month ago and being told yes we could do that) everything works normally.
    As a consequence of the internet access issue, we can't forward ports, but that's neither here nor there for now. Basically, it means we're stuck with using the hosted pop3 solution for a little while, until we get our own IP address.

Anyway. We have a Windows 7 ultimate Desktop computer, configured with outlook, connecting via pop3 and downloading email for 2 or 3 individual accounts. All works well.

I ran the SBS Connect wizard. It evaluated everything, told me it was all ok, and the domain join would work. Fantastic, joined the domain, checked out the desktop after the reboots, all the profile is moved over. Neglected to check outlook - client wished to head home.

Received a phone call this morning- seems outlook is prompting for a password for the PST file. Not a password to connect to the pop3 server (this came later) but for the actual PST file. My fellow had never ever had a password on a PST file, and did not know he could even set one. We tried his new domain password, no good. We tried his old workstation password, no good.
    Tried several other passwords, no good.

So off I go to start researching the problem... my clever client had tried his hosted-pop3 password on the PST file. And it worked.

So, here's the rub.

In a situation where you are connecting a computer to a new SBS 2011 Standard Domain, and that client uses a hosted POP3 account, with a locally stored PST file, the SBSConnect Wizard will add the POP3 account password to that PST file.
    Last edited by tehcamel; 14th December 2011, 09:01.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: connect wizard adding password to PST file?

it actually looks like it picked up the password for the pop3 connection for some reason..
    that's odd.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: connect wizard adding password to PST file?

POP goes the weasle?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X