Hi All,

I have a client with a fresh install of SBS 2011

The spec of the server is as follows:

HP ProLiant DL380 G7
    1 x Xeon Quad Core Proc @ 2.67 Ghz
    20 GB Ram
    2 x 147gb 10k sas disks in raid 1 for os
    3 x 300 gb 10k sas disks in raid 5 for data
    set in 2 logical drives, e for exchange data, f for file serving.

there is a separate environment for their sql requirements, which is based on:

HP ProLiant DL160 G6
    2ghz xeon processor
    14GB ram
    2 300gb sata drives

Intermittently varies from once every 2 days to once a week the server will completely hang completely requiring a forced shutdown.

There is nothing in the eventlogs of any error kind pointing to a resource issue or critical failure?

However I noticed that store.exe was using just over 10gb of memory and that several w3wp.exe's were using a cumulative total of 8gb memory and various other services were using up to 98% of available memory. (processor activity peaks at 5%)
    While i was remoted onto this server it hung and i had to to perform a forced shutdown.
    I came across the article below

However when I launch adsi edit i do not have the option of browsing to the location specified to set the maximum memory allocation to 6GB

One other thought I had was that perhaps anti virus was causing an issue, the AV installed is bitdefender. I have set exclusions for exchange, backup exec and for the system32 files specified by microsoft, i have also disabled on access scanning on the server to minimise impact to resources.

I have ran the HP diagnostic toolset on the server and this has came back clean.

Any advice or pointers as to where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Re: SBS2011 hangs with nothing in the event logs

do you have crash dumps enabled?

I would be looking at hardware... run a memcheck, and diskchecks.
    update firmware and drivers.

It's normal for exchange to take as much memory as it can
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: SBS2011 hangs with nothing in the event logs

The OP says the server just freezes - so there is probably no crash dump

Have you checked HP for Firmware/Driver updates?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.