Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 partitioning and RAID config

Hi Everyone,

I just finished migrating Windows Server 2003 STD to SBS2011 STD.

I ordered a server from Dell and it came pre-configured with RAID-5 on 4x 1TB disks. It has 2x Virtual disks configured.

After building the OS, I see C: 120GB, (DATAPART0) D: 1TB and (DATAPART1) E:1.7TB .

I see DATAPART1 already has Program Files folder with MSSQL installed.

This server will have the following roles and services:

File Server (approx. 500GB of data)
    DC
    DNS
    SharePoint
    Exchange 2010
    WSUS

Should I keep the current configurations or have it in RAID 1+0 or RAID 0+1.

What are your recommendations for this setup? Thank you.

Re: SBS2011 partitioning and RAID config

RAID 1+0/0+1 will give better performance than 5 but you will lose 1TB storage (2 vs 3)

120Gb seems about right for the OS and IMHO no need to have more than one data partition
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actualy I used RAID 1. Not hot swap though but considered I did not need it.

Comment

im doing R1 on all mine at the moment
        just make sure you use the sbsconsole to move all the data portions to the D: drive
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X