Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Exchange domains please.

SBS 2008/Exchange2007.

We are changing our URL/domain from a domain1.org to domain2.org.uk. We use POP3 to collect emails from our ISP. At the moment both domains up there (in the clouds) end up on [email protected] so POP3 collects them all.

I have not configured the second domain yet because I am confused by the EMC Accepted Domains screen. It has the 2 as follows:

NAME: ourServer.local
    ACCEPTED DOMAIN: ourserver.local
    TYPE: authoratitive
    DEFAULT: True

NAME: windows SBS external Domain
    ACCEPTED DOMAIN: ourDomain1.org
    TYPE: internal relay
    DEFAULT: False
    1. Should our external be "internal relay" or "authoratitive"? Considering we are using POP and not SMTP as I assume that's why it is that TYPE in the 1st place.
    2. How do I add the new domain so that it is "quiet" and does not "take over"?
    3. Should I make them all authoritative and if so do I need to restart any process after?
    Note we will use POP3 for the new domain so I know I have to configure more POPs in there.

Re: Help on Exchange domains please.

Authoritative. Internal relay is when you are passing emails on to another system you control.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for that. I have done that and set all to "authoratitive" and tested by sending/replying emails to both, OK so far.

However, I have decided to use SMTP for newDomain (using POP for oldDomain). If I replicate all the users e.g. [email protected] in the EMC (or Console?) from oldDomain e.g. [email protected] and get the MX record at ISP to point now to the IP of the new domain will it all work at POP3 and SMTP emails will arrive at user1's mailbox?

Comment

if your server is authoritative for both olddomain.com and newdomain.com, any emails sent from newdomain.com, or olddomain.com, will be delivered to olddomain.com on the server, not the pop3 server.

(I am assuming that olddomain.com users are using Outlook, not pop/smtp to get their mail.)

this is bedause exchange is authoritative for that domain, and doens't know to route it outside
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Authoritative. Internal relay is when you are passing emails on to another system you control.
          Actually it's "Internal Relay" as I discovered no one was getting external incoming emails from the POP3 server! Once I set it back everything worked.

So it needs to be thus when POP3 is used. Presumably it's "Authoratitive" for SMTP.

Comment

Shows how often I use POP3
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X