Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Hangs or Restarts with no events or dumps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Hangs or Restarts with no events or dumps?

Morning Guys,

I've been batteling an issue where my SBS 2008 box either just hangs with a black screen and frozen mouse pointer or restarts, some times its twice a day sometimes its fine for 3 days then without warning its does it....

The really annoying bit is there is nothing in the event logs, they just stop and restart when the box is hard power off and back on, there is no memory dump even tho it's set to create one.

So far I've swapped all three drives in the array (seperately and rebuilt) and done a complete memory test, its not power as its on a UPS, its not the UPS as there are 2 machines plugged into it.

I'm pulling my hair out I don't know where to go next any suggestions very welcome...PSU, mainboard, CPU ?!?!

Many thanks

Dave

PS I've also disabled the WSUS services as I remember reading something about WSUS causing random reboots...
    Also a bit of background, it was working fine for about 2 years and this only started when I moved the entire cabinate to a different room.
    Last edited by QuattroDave; 23rd November 2011, 10:46.

Re: SBS 2008 Hangs or Restarts with no events or dumps?

May be on a UPS but the Power Supply may be dodgy
    Also check hardware logs in the BIOS

What make/model of server?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

Hmm yeah good point, I'll have to get hold of a spare PSU for the server.
      I'll check the BIOS logs, if there are any, next time I'm on site.

The machine is a Fujitsu TX300 S3 8GB ram 3x SATA HDD's Raid 5

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

wararnty on the machine?

considering it happened when you moved the machine (based on what you said) you need to thoroughl check and reseat all the hardware, including cpu and cpu fan..

also check thermal temps..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

That was my initial thought, stripped it and rebuilt it all fans working fine. I'll check the thermal temps when I'm up there next.

Unfortunatly its not under warranty.

At the moment i'm leaning towards PSU, I don't know why just a feeling...
          Bit anoying we might not get to the bottom of this, I asked for a new PSU yesterday afternoon, boss is looking at upgrading and buying a new server...

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just to tie this one up... New server arrived which was almost identical to the original one, chipset & storage controller wise, (bigger processors and alot more ram). Didn't look forward to completely setting up the new server so I took a gamble and imaged accross.

All is working fine now, must have been a hardware issue but which one I'm not sure.

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X