SBS2003 Coexist with File Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 Coexist with File Server?

Have a client that has an old SBS 2003 server. Would like to use it just for Great Plains, as if we upgrade to a newer version of windows will have to buy new Gp licenses as well as SQL Server. Here is what would be ideal, let me know your thoughts:

Current roles

SBS 2003 DC - 30 Users
    AD
    File Server
    Great Plains
    All workstations login to Domain ABC

Future Roles

- Keep SBS 2003 only for Great Plains
    - Have new Server become the GC and the only thing it will be used for besides AD is a simple File Server. I don't care about what version of windows, just as long as it's not 2003.

I know that SBS has issues as there can only be 1 DC/GC. Any thoughts on how to proceed. I want it so that if the old server dies, no one will get affected only the GP users which are only 2 people. This is a non-profit, so we can get licenses for any OS really cheap.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Al

Re: SBS2003 Coexist with File Server?

you can have other DCs, it's just that the SBS server needs to be the master role holder.

I beleive people have found successful ways to talk SBS out of being the master before.. however it's not really a supported solution.

you could also look at th eSBS transition pack, if it's still available - this basically allows you to "upgrade" your licences to free-standing products, so you can move away from sbs..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Moved to SBS 2003 forum
      Concur with tehcamel -- no issues with additional DC/GC as long as the SBS keeps the FSMOs (i.e. you can't demote it)
      Why not make the new server the Dynamics one?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We would have to

1) Buy new licenses to work on Server 2008 with GP
        2) Buy new SQL licenses for new server
        3) Pay GP consultant probably $2,000 to move to new server

If I keep the FSMO roles on the old server, will the new server also validate logins? I want it so that if the old server crashes, no one gets affected. Only the GP people, which there are only 2.

Comment

look at a swing migration.. swing away from sbs2003, or swing from sbs2003 to sbs2008..

I'm not sure if you can then keep using your old server though
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X