Slow File Copy Speeds From Network Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow File Copy Speeds From Network Drive

I have a Dell PowerEdge server running SBS 2008, serving an office of 15-20 clients, of various spec s running windows XP.

I have recently and suddenly noticed a dramatic slowdown in the speed at which files are copied from the company shared network drive (v: ) to a client machine. File transfer isn’t the main cause for headaches tho, users of access databases are having some very slow running queries and this is causing a serious dip in productivity.

I tested this by timing the transfer of a 95Mb file from the v drive to my desktop and comparing it to a shared folded (A: ) on another client. The V drive took about 147 seconds, the A drive about 24 sec!

So I’m stumped now as to how I can troubleshoot this further. I’ve run chkdsk on the server, with no errors. Suggestions please for how I could get to the bottom of this!
    Last edited by Ashwah; 9th November 2011, 12:52.

Re: Slow File Copy Speeds From Network Drive

What has changed?
    (updates, hardware, networking...)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nothing! Not that I can tell anyway. There were no updates around the time it happened, on the server or clients. No changes to the hardware/network either.

My job isn't just IT and I had been working on other things prior to this kicking off, so I'm pretty sure nothing has changed...

Comment

Any new software installed on server or client?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No new software on server since August. It's affecting all the clients the same and there's certainly no new software on all of them.

Thanks btw

Comment

If no new software installed then how about update software?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Worth trying replacing the server's patch lead
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X