SBS Backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Backup

I'm using SBS 2011 Server Backup with a 1TB SATA drive dedicated to the backup drive.

I read somewhere that I can't take this drive out of the server and read it with any other PC, because when it does, the other PC will destroy all the data.

So, with that, I assume that the backup hard drive is not in NTFS fromat, but a special format optimized for incremental backups.

I'd like to get a removable drive bay and swap them like the way we used to swap 8 track tapes, just like a big SATA cartridge.

Can anyone tell me how to tell the current "percentage full" on the backup hard drive?

Re: SBS Backup

You should be able to see it in disk management.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by roswald72 View Post
      I'd like to get a removable drive bay and swap them like the way we used to swap 8 track tapes, just like a big SATA cartridge.

Can anyone tell me how to tell the current "percentage full" on the backup hard drive?
      This is exactly what I do with an SBS 2008 instance. The office swaps out backups drives once a week. If you go into the Backup and Restore Utility you'll be able to see how much space is left on the drive. You're right, you can't browse the drive in any way.

You should also be able to restore files that were backed up on the SBS 2011 machine onto a different PC. Attach the backup drive, go to the backup and restore utility and then select to restore files. It should scan for attached drives that hold backups. You can then peruse the backup drive for files to restore. The backup wouldn't be useful at all if files couldn't be restored on a different PC. Just make sure that you don't backup another PC to the same backup drive as the SBS 2011 one.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You can attach the drive to another machine. If it is Win7, then in Disk Management, assign the drive a letter and attach the backup file as a VHD if you just want to browse or extract a specific file.
        Before you return it to the SBS, remove (de-assign) the drive letter.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X