No announcement yet.

nic ID reversal in device manager

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nic ID reversal in device manager

This is hopefully not a problem as far as I am aware, but is bugging me. I've just set up a new Proliant ML110 G7 server with SBS 2011. The first client has been setup and everything at this stage appears to be working with no problems (although I have not set up email yet). Both nics are enabled in the bios, but nic 1 shows as disabled in device manager, with nic 2 being "live".

However, the cat5 cable is actually connected to nic1 as shown by the indicator light on the front of the server.
    Q1 why/how is this and can it be easily corrected without screwing everything up?
    Q2 should I disable one of the nics in the bios? (I have not installed "lights out") - this begs the question which one, nic 1 or 2?

Or perhaps I should simply ignore it!

Re: nic ID reversal in device manager

Disable one NIC in the BIOS and see how that goes. I believe that like SBS 2008, SBS 2011 plays nice if you only have a single NIC.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: nic ID reversal in device manager

Are you sure you can do this on HP ML110? I know of a few DELL servers that you can only allow both or no NICs in the BIOS - something that causes tremendous problems with installation and (especially) migration fo 2011.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.