Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allow firewall to be diabled/enabled on XP client

Not sure if this should be in here or in the GPO forum, but anyway:

I need to be able to easily disable and enable windows firewall on XP SP2 & 3 PCs (from a local admin account ON that PC) on a 2003 small business network.

These settings are of course, greyed out, due to a group policy setting. I've looked, and I can't seem to figure out how to enable a local admin to turn it on and off.

Re: allow firewall to be diabled/enabled on XP client

If the firewall is being configured and controlled by a Group Policy then it's not possible to configure it with a local admin account. You can disable (set to not configured) the GPO settings so that it can be managed locally. If you need to do this for a particular computer or group of computers then create a GPO that sets the firewall settings to not configured (you may actually need to change the relevant settings to disabled), link the GPO to the computers OU and use GPO security filtering to apply the GPO to only the relevant computers.

Comment

Hi,

I understand you have a GPO that enforce the Firewall on your XP machines.

So, you can't turn the Firewall on or off locally on the XP machines if the setting is applied from your domain's GPO, you should also see on your windows xp machines where the policy is in place the message saying : some settings are controlled by group policy.
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
      Computer Science Graduate

Comment

thanks
        ended up finding the gpo and just temporarily disabling it, then gpupdate on the client pc.
        as I suspected, windows firewall was not the cause of the problem, but at least now I know where I can enable/disable it. still seems like a bit of a runaround just to test networking issues. but *shrug*

Comment

Good luck with your main problem
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
          Computer Science Graduate

Comment

Working...
          X