No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 abysmal file transfer speeds and even slower ptp ipsec vpn throughput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 abysmal file transfer speeds and even slower ptp ipsec vpn throughput

Where to start...
    The problem: File transfers on the network between the SBS Server and ANY other computer with ANY other version of Windows is slow...about 1-2mbps. A 90Mb file takes 49 minutes to copy. I also have a ptp VPN with two remote locations. The abysmal speeds are even worse for them.
    I have a Tyan Tank GT20 server running SBS 2008. The server handles DHCP, DNS, File Server functions, is the Domain Controller, WSUS, and Sharepoint Server. I run AVG Admin software for the network anti-virus, but I do NOT run an instance of AVG on the server itself. The firewall is set to allow all normal server connections. The domain computers do not run the AVG firewall, they use the windows firewall with the domain settings.
    The server has two Gigabit ethernet ports; one disabled in the BIOS. Ethernet drivers are the latest version, but I have had this problem with older versions as well.
    I have run the SBS BPA and corrected all the problems it listed.

Here is what I have tried:
    1. Changed server MTU to 1132 (got the best result from all computers in the domain, and across the VPN using this size.)
    2. Changed the SMB signing settings on the server and workstations to match
    3. Turned off smb2
    4. Created registry key on the server for tcpWindowSize (set to 64240)
    5. Created registry key on the server for SizReqBuf (set to 65535)
    6. Turned off ALL offloading properties on my network adapter
    7. Tried using tcpChimney enabled and disabled
    8. Tried using QoS enabled and disabled
    9. Used all different gigabit switches on the network
    10. used all new cables on the network (literally ran new cables all over at the main location)
    11. turned off firewall and anti-virus across the entire domain

None of these things have an impact on the slow network performance. Also, it seems the ENTIRE network suffers this problem, even computer to computer.

I'm stumped. And now for the interesting part...
    Before the SBS 2008 box was a SBS 2003 box. The vpn worked like greased lightning. Also, to be noted, was that the VPN (SonicWall TZ 170's at all locations) were handling the DHCP and DNS. Ever since the dhcp responsibilities were taken from the sonicwall and the server was changed to sbs2008 there has been a major, dare I say galactic, reduction in network speeds for file transfers.
    A majority of what we do here involves transferring large files. Any help would be monumental!

Re: SBS 2008 abysmal file transfer speeds and even slower ptp ipsec vpn throughput

Are you sure this is a network issue? Maybe it is a disk I/O issue? Try copying some files from disk to disk on the server to see if the performance is adequate. Try copying files from a workstationin the LAN to the server to see copying speeds. Do you also have enough RAM?
    You seem to have tuned the network. What about the other sub-systems?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: SBS 2008 abysmal file transfer speeds and even slower ptp ipsec vpn throughput

Ever since the dhcp responsibilities were taken from the sonicwall and the server was changed to sbs2008 there has been a major, dare I say galactic, reduction in network speeds for file transfers.
      I think I found your problem....

If this happened when you disabled DHCP at your sites, and forced all computers to contact the DC before doing anything.

It sounds like you are overloading your DC, so put some some catalog servers in place, or get the Sonic walls the handle some of the requests.

You have alot going on that one server, you need to get some of its roles out to other servers, or at lest get something to take the load off it.

So, I would...
      A) Bridge your NIC's in the server.
      B) Add some addiontal RAID's to the server if it only has one (If you only have a single RAID, then you can get some major disk contention)
      C) See if you can move the DHCP to hardware devices, if not, look at getting some small cheap catalog servers at remote locations (If you have satilite offices)
      D) Install a AV on your server and do a Virus scan, you might just be infested.
      E) Setup a FTP server on the SBS box, then test the transfer speed to see if it is something with Domain settings, or Network Hardware settings (As the FTP server will not use Domain Auth).
      F) Reinstall the NIC's/DHCP/DNS/Network Stuff on the Sbs 2008 server, a file might jsut be damaged.

If none of that shines any light on the problem, come back and let us know.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
        I think I found your problem....

If this happened when you disabled DHCP at your sites, and forced all computers to contact the DC before doing anything.

It sounds like you are overloading your DC, so put some some catalog servers in place, or get the Sonic walls the handle some of the requests.
        I'm sure that's the case, we only have 40ish computers total, and about 9 of those are remote over the vpn...certainly that can't be overloading a 2 year old server with dual xeon processors and 12gb of ram.

You have alot going on that one server, you need to get some of its roles out to other servers, or at lest get something to take the load off it.

So, I would...
        I was under the impression that SBS doesn't allow more than one NIC without having serious issues.
        B) Add some addiontal RAID's to the server if it only has one (If you only have a single RAID, then you can get some major disk contention)
        My disc IO is def not the problem here, 4 enterprise ssd's on raid 5
        C) See if you can move the DHCP to hardware devices, if not, look at getting some small cheap catalog servers at remote locations (If you have satilite offices)
        I am going to have to move DHCP back to the sonicwall. I just have a hard time believing that a new SBS 2008 server can't handle DHCP for 40 computers....I feel like I wasted my money.
        D) Install a AV on your server and do a Virus scan, you might just be infested.
        Clean.
        E) Setup a FTP server on the SBS box, then test the transfer speed to see if it is something with Domain settings, or Network Hardware settings (As the FTP server will not use Domain Auth).
        Speedy, as fast as one would expect
        F) Reinstall the NIC's/DHCP/DNS/Network Stuff on the Sbs 2008 server, a file might jsut be damaged.
        Done all of this

Comment

Is your anti virus scanning network traffic?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post

So, I would...
            uh.. you mean teamed, right? Bridging is something different
            and teaming only works where the switches support it too

\One thing that's not mentioned here: have you checked the speed and duplex of the network card, on both the server, and the switch? maybe it's mismatched? maybe it's only at 10Mb (I've seen this before. Somehow, a file server for 2,000 staff had been hard coded to 10M/Half...)

if the switch is lookingf for 100/Full, but your NIC is configured for GigE, that'll definitely cause problems.

I'd also run some perfmon counters on your server, look at things like Disk Queue Length. avg read rate etc
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X