Change host name of SBS 2008 Server running Exchange 2007 - Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change host name of SBS 2008 Server running Exchange 2007 - Part 1

When I first set up my server, I wasn’t aware that the host name could not be changed after-the-fact, and following research, I have now realized that it would seem as the only means by which I can rename my server is via a complete reinstall.
    I am attempting to do this with minimal down-time, and am looking for confirmation that the following ‘to-do’ list is comprehensive and I have not missed anything along the way. I will return to this post and update as I work through it so that others can benefit from this how-to.

As my step-by-step was 10,400 words long, I had to put it up on Google Docs, please feel free to put comments directly on the document itself. Available here:

https:// docs.google.com/document/d/1a6EMi6H4B32TVZkKdb5ycWO1oFMwvCNvMecORO9Vkg0/edit?hl=en_US
    Last edited by SBS_Help_Needed; 22nd September 2011, 15:27.

Re: Change host name of SBS 2008 Server running Exchange 2007 - Part 1

Please find the .pdf of the complete post attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

Why do you need to change the hostname. What can be so important about a hostname that you need to invest all that time and effort?
      Unless you called it BIGF*&K or equivalent
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

After a quick look at the steps, you might as well nuke the server and reinstall.

Remove ONE drive from RAID array... what if it is RAID 5 (or RAID 0)?

Then I got to "rejoin clients to new domain"

So even if it was called BIGF*&K, it would be an even bigger F*&KUP to attempt this (IMHO)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thirded. No (sensible) reason I can think of to try and retain the original hostname or change the current name.

If it's client software that points to the old name, then simply create a DNS alias of the old name pointing to the new server.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            After a quick look at the steps, you might as well nuke the server and reinstall.

Remove ONE drive from RAID array... what if it is RAID 5 (or RAID 0)?

Then I got to "rejoin clients to new domain"

So even if it was called BIGF*&K, it would be an even bigger F*&KUP to attempt this (IMHO)

Thanks for getting back to me... I'm running a Dell Poweredge T100, and as far as I knew, the RAID that it came with was simply mirroring the two disks constantly - e.g. they were identical copies of each other. Hence when I access the Disk Management features, only one disk is visible. I had been hoping (not knowing anything at all about RAID) that this would work.

Are you saying that you do not believe I should attempt removing the drive, or attempting the entire process. It is absolutely critical that I change the hostname. Your comments and time greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Thirded. No (sensible) reason I can think of to try and retain the original hostname or change the current name.

If it's client software that points to the old name, then simply create a DNS alias of the old name pointing to the new server.
              In this situation, it is imperative to change the host-name, as the host name is sent out in the message headers of all emails. If you know of a workaround to that, or if there is some means of changing the "name" of the server within the email headers, that would be wonderful. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                Why do you need to change the hostname. What can be so important about a hostname that you need to invest all that time and effort?
                Unless you called it BIGF*&K or equivalent
                Hello Teiger, as I just posted, it is simply because I do not want this particular hostname to be 'visible' to anyone receiving emails from this server. I would like a generic hostname instead.

Comment

You are posting a generic procedure "tutorial" to change the host name, but as part of it you do things (pull one drive out of a mirror) specific to your environment. If others follow your advice but have a different type of RAID array (there are many options) they may wreck their system.

Now we know a little more about your issue (change server name in email headers) maybe some of the links on will help:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&cad=b
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    You are posting a generic procedure "tutorial" to change the host name, but as part of it you do things (pull one drive out of a mirror) specific to your environment. If others follow your advice but have a different type of RAID array (there are many options) they may wreck their system.

Now we know a little more about your issue (change server name in email headers) maybe some of the links on will help:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

Ossian, thank you very much for the link. I am now investigating this possibility. I had never intended my 'generic-how-to' to be definitive by any stretch as I knew it was full of holes, and lacking a LOT of detail everywhere, it was more for my reference. I will post back here whether or not this has resolved my issue, and if it has... I will owe you GREATLY as you will have saved me a LOT of work and stress!

---------

Hello again Ossian, after researching and removing the MS-Exch-Send-Headers-Routing permissions on the Send connectors, I have learnt that the original hostname is in fact still detailed within the header as part of the Message-ID. I am afraid this puts me back to square one. Do you have any further suggestions?

As for my How-To, if I forget about removing the hard disk from the RAID, and go through the steps I had outlined.. am I missing anything of paramount importance? As the comments I have received have been pretty much "You're nuts to try this", I'm thinking that an alternate method may be best. If I had the luxury of simply buying another server and setting it up correctly and importing the .psts and copying the data, I would be sorted.
                    Last edited by SBS_Help_Needed; 27th September 2011, 11:16.

Comment

Hello all....

I can now confirm that everything has been completed successfully! I was hesitant to post until I was sure, but have now had two full days running, with VERY little teething problems.

A few important notes.. (let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer!!)

1. I can confirm that it IS indeed possible to add the new exchange account to the Outlook 2010 profile that houses the old account's cached messages.

2. I can confirm that it DOES work to simply drag & drop the messages from within Outlook 2010 -- an expert with whom I consulted informed me that this CAN lead to problems with the message store, so it is imperative to back up the .edb and log files of the exchange server BEFORE attempting this. Also, I would not recommend this process for MANY users, as the copy process takes FOREVER. Instead, I would recommend exporting each user's exchange profile as a .pst, (and as a best-practice, it may be wise to continue using this .pst as an archive, and use their 'new' account for new messages -- just a thought!)

3. Anyone else attempting this process on a Dell PowerEdge server (mine was a T100), must ensure that if they don't have the original Dell disks, they download the appropriate Dell Manager .iso file to enable them to do the installation of the OS. -- Having a licensed copy of SBS2008 is NOT enough, you need those Dell disks.

4. I have since learnt that my server had NO RAID -- (again, thanks to the 'expert' I consulted who looked up my Dell service tag and found that out). In fact, it had a SOFTWARE raid set up previously which apparently is rubbish. Therefore, the best solution for 'disaster recovery' I could come up with is as follows:

• Make a nightly backup using Microsoft Backup to the other SATA internal disk, and a weekly backup to an external disk (stored off-site)
                      • Using another (blank) Hard Disk, I have used the Dell Manage disks and the SBS 2008 install disks to prepare another drive. I do not need to install all updates, etc... but just to get the Dell stuff on along with the OS, so that I can (at any point) pop this disk in, and immediately boot to "recovery mode".

5. All in all, with over 50GB of mails spanning 25 accounts, 200GB of data, 5 PCs, two external mail servers for 10 domain names, the entire process (from start to finish) took roughly 40 hours of work. Indeed, a VERY costly mistake for having not named the server correctly in the first instance.

6. One additional IMPORTANT note, I would recommend applying ALL updates to the SBS2008 server prior to setting up your accounts. Some weird things happened when I started configuring GPOs and mailbox quotas. I didn't realise, but the only way to obtain SBS 2008 SP2 is to download and install absolutely ALL windows updates for your server. Only then will the SP2 download become available.

There was me thinking I was all done, and then had to download another 600MB and my users were down for about 45 minutes whilst SP2 was installing.

** word of caution ** -- do NOT follow the step-by-step I had uploaded. If anyone is interested in the final actual step-by-step that I used, just let me know and I will re-post. Not going to go through all that effort of documenting it unless someone wants it!

Comment

Working...
                      X