Sbs2008 and Virtualization with BDC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs2008 and Virtualization with BDC.

Hey guy's, i nees some help and ideas. I have a sbs2008 as PDC, as it should be. And i have a BDC with windows server 2003 as a ts server for ts connections for the companys software. I'm planning on virtualizing the 2003 machine on the sbs2008 machine. It's a dual xeon with 16gig, so hardware isis't a problem. My question is, what is the best thing to do ? just migrate the 2003 machine to VM and give the same ip address to the vm ethernet adapter ? ou i shiuld remove the 2003 machine from the AD , migrate to VM and then join the AD again ? the software i should be using is virtualbox, no money for software, so have to do things the best way as possible.

Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: Sbs2008 and Virtualization with BDC.

The terms PDC and BDC are meaningless since the NT4 days.

P2V conversion is the simplest option, assuming virtualbox supports such conversions. You can't use Hyper-V as SBS doesn't support it as a server role.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm not a fan of running virtualization on top of the OS (except in the case of Hyper-V) so even though this may not be the best suggestion, I might suggest converting and virtualizing both servers and installing a bare metal hypervisor on the physical host and hosting both VM's on it. This also frees up a lot of hardware resources for additional VM's.

Comment

Why does "Single Point of Failure" spring to mind?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thx for the answers, but why do you think its not good to put vm on top of the os? In that case i would need to install linux as primary os, and install virtualbox with two vm,s , there is no money for extra software. is there any problem with securit on putting vms on top os os?

Regards
          Kevin

Comment

Ahem guys. You all forgot one thing - you cannot add Hyper-V to SBS 2008. SBS 2008 can be a guest/child in a 2008 Server host/parent, but that needs another 2008 license as supplied in the SBS 2008 Premium edition.
            SBS 2008 as a Hyper-V host is just not supported - and there are problems with DHCP etc (sometimes "not supported" means it works. but in this case it is "not supported" because of problems caused.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              You can't use Hyper-V as SBS doesn't support it as a server role.
              I remembered.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes you did! --- Well done
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X