help with backups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with backups

So i've added a 2nd backup disk to use for some baremetal disaster restore on another system. I took the original HD offline as it appears the system was going to force both to backup at the same time. Now that I'm joining the original USB disk to the system it says it will over write all the data and reformat...does this sound right?

Simply by unchecking that box during the backup it has disassociated from the system?

Has windows in their attempt to make a dumb'd down system for anyone created a almost useless system?

Re: help with backups

Windows Backup will use a local disk only for backups, so reformatting it sounds right
    You can also use a unc path to a network folder.

Note there are changes from 2008 to 2008R2 so not quite sure what you will have
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Windows Backup will use a local disk only for backups, so reformatting it sounds right
      You can also use a unc path to a network folder.

Note there are changes from 2008 to 2008R2 so not quite sure what you will have
      I have NON R2. As stated simply unchecking and rechecking the box to temorarily use another USB drive will reformat the first drive thus destroying all the backups? Although it gave a message that it was going to reformat I'm not sure it did as all the previous backup dates were still listed in the previous backup window.

Additionally, can you should an example of syntax for backing up to UNC as I always understood a local backup via USB is the only option...as I don't see anywhere to put a UNC value in the shadowcopy inteface. Maybe UNC is only an option in R2?

Comment

It should be smarter than that. SBS allows you to swap between 2 or more disks, and, since every backup after the first is fundamentally an incremental backup, it automatically detects when the last backup was made on the disk and completes the incremental to that point.
        Do you see Drive letters assigned to your backup disks? Because you shouldn't in SBS.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          It should be smarter than that. SBS allows you to swap between 2 or more disks, and, since every backup after the first is fundamentally an incremental backup, it automatically detects when the last backup was made on the disk and completes the incremental to that point.
          Do you see Drive letters assigned to your backup disks? Because you shouldn't in SBS.
          I'd like to think it should be smarter too...but sometimes they dumb down things for the consumer too!

No driver letter comes up. I simple uncheck drive #1 (no delete) from the backup interface so I am only backing up to drive #2. I now understand that I should leave them both check and simply unplug #1 but that wasn't what I wanted todo at the time. By "rechecking" #1 the message came treating it like a new drive with a warning about deleting/formatting before using...which it didn't appear too.

I'm going to try to replicate this concern on my test machine tonight to confirm the confusing message.

Comment

Working...
          X