Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions about restore on alternate server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about restore on alternate server?

I'm looking into a 2nd server as a backup and test platform for a baremetal restore.

My system is a Dell Poweredge 2850 with dual xenons running at 3.8ghz. I see lots of used system in my budget but they are all 3.2, 3.4 or 3.6ghz.

I know similar hardware should be used for restore but does a process speed difference cause issues? Additionally, if my current setup is 6x70gb of raid5 disc can I go with a system that is 5x146gb disc...which is more space or will this cause issues?

It seems for a modern system there is simply to much to go wrong with a SBS restore and I want to practice...but am unsure if these small changes in hardware will mess up the restore process.

Re: questions about restore on alternate server?

No known issues AFAIK because of processor speed.
    As for the disk setup: if you are using the data recovery, then look at the disk manager. The OS only sees the disks and partitions as the RAID adaptor presents it to it. So it doesn't see/doesn't know whether you have 5 x 146GB or 6 x 70GB. It sees a C: of say 120GB and a D: of 250GB.
    BTW have you considered virtualising the server and then the hardware involved is no longer an issue?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the info very helpful, I figured that is how the system would look at the hard drives but wanted to confirm.

I have a lot of experience virtualizing with Fusion (mac), Virtualbox and a few others . But I have never played with Microsofts take on virtualization especially if that client is a AD, DNS, DHCP, ect...but I would agree that running a virtual system is the way to go for easier disaster management. I actually run a couple simple installs of 2003 Server running special application software for this very reason...easy disaster recovery on a dedicated server.

Without getting into a discussion that may go over my head here are a few questions...

Is there a simple process of getting an existing install converted to a virtual disk?
      Is there any issues running SBS 2008 as a virtual that is a DNS, DHCP and exchange server?
      What would the host OS have to be considering SBS2008 must be 64bit?

I know this may be lot to discuss but maybe you can point me in the right direction and I can start researching this for an implťmentation this late winter.

I have a decent server now 16gb RAM so that one could very easily become the host dummy. Additionally my business would allow me to take the system offline for several days if needed, so virtual is a posibility in my future.

Comment

Simple conversion? Disk2VHD by Microsoft (formerly Sysinternals) but why bother? take your latest backup and restore it to a VM.
        The only issue with running DHCP, DNS and AD in a VM is that it is acceppted that you do not join the host computer to the domain - as the AD is not running when you first switch it on. IMHO minor additional complexity.
        Host has to be esx or Windows 2008 Server R2 (SP1 preferred) with Hyper-V installed.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Simple conversion? Disk2VHD by Microsoft (formerly Sysinternals) but why bother? take your latest backup and restore it to a VM.
          The only issue with running DHCP, DNS and AD in a VM is that it is acceppted that you do not join the host computer to the domain - as the AD is not running when you first switch it on. IMHO minor additional complexity.
          Host has to be esx or Windows 2008 Server R2 (SP1 preferred) with Hyper-V installed.
          Great info, I did some reading last night but in typical MS fashion it's to much info spewed all over the place to answer a lot of questions easily, so this helps point me in the right direction for reading. Will continue to research. More questions:

1. Does anything have to change with the licensing on the SBS2008 once it becomes a client? I see there is a unique KEY for a virtual system.
          2. Will read up on ESX and understand how it can host.
          3. I figured the HOST would not be on the domain, is it a matter of just turning the AD service on once it's up or is there another process involved?

Again great info, I have a far better understanding of how simple this will be now that I know I can do restore. What has your experience been of getting the external drive hosting the backup to be recognized by the host install? I remember just getting the external recognized for backup took a few attempts for some reason.

Comment

1 No. Only caveat I can think of is, in Hyper-V, to run the SBS backup via the wizard, you attach a USB disk to the Host, in Disk Manager mark it as "off-line". You can then attach it as a SCSI disk to the VM - on the fly if you wish
            2 I have to learn more about ESX too!
            3 No, it is never part of the domain, it is not in AD It is in a workgroup that I usually name the same as the NETBIOS name of the AD - just to keep things tidy. And there is no AD service to switch on. Why would you need it?
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              1 No. Only caveat I can think of is, in Hyper-V, to run the SBS backup via the wizard, you attach a USB disk to the Host, in Disk Manager mark it as "off-line". You can then attach it as a SCSI disk to the VM - on the fly if you wish
              2 I have to learn more about ESX too!
              3 No, it is never part of the domain, it is not in AD It is in a workgroup that I usually name the same as the NETBIOS name of the AD - just to keep things tidy. And there is no AD service to switch on. Why would you need it?
              #3 I was not clear in my wording...like usual. I was meaning to simply turn AD/DNS back on after the new SBS is on the host as you mentioned that AD and/or DNS was turned off.

Since we started this thread I've successfully restored SBS to VWmare Fusion on a very powerful mac with 16ram with success. Since I'm not letting this restore talk to our exsisting network it's a stand alone and have noticed a few issues that creep up once the system has been running for awhile. I'd like to find a weekend to do a backup, restore again to Fusion and let that new restored system talk to the old network to see if a few issues are resolved...but am worried that will create issue too. I think overall the proof of concept is there for an emergency solution if we ever lost the current SBS hardware.

On another note I did play with ESXi 5.0 in detail over the weekend. It didn't work out so well as I had to run it on a virtual system...so a system within a system and it presented a few issues. I've got a cheap used server (ebay) on order I'm going to try to just put ESXi on and try again...as I wasn't impressed with it's ease of use compared to running SBS on VWmware fusion...but understand it's robustness for running many systems on a single box with better resource sharing. I'm not sure I need to work with such a "over the top" solution as it requires a lot more reading then I was prepared for. I still don't understand much of the advanced terminology and needs of something such as ESXi. Lastly it sounds like they limited v. 5 (compared to previous version) with the host system memory and/or cores that would make running SBS2008 a bit limited. I read the host system would be limited to 8gb of RAM.

Not I also got SBS2008 to restore to Virtualbox but didn't get to far into it. There may be some limitations with memory or cores with VB...I'll need more time to test.

Comment

Working...
              X