Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 > SBS2011 Migration - Couple of Questions

Hi,

I've done a SBS2003 > SBS2008 before so I have some (little!) experience of the process.

I have a couple of questions:

1) The migration document states that the router / gateway should be on .1 or .254. Why is this - is there something hard-coded in the migration code that looks for the gateway on either of these addresses?

2) I'm doing a migration from 2003 >2011 shortly - the target / destination server is a HP server. usually the process is to build a HP server with SmartStart and then give it the OS CD / DVD when required. As the migration process requires the answer file to be present when booting the 2011 DVD, is it possible to do this, or do I just install the support pack post-install?

Thanks for reading!

Lee
    Regards,

Lee

Re: SBS2003 > SBS2011 Migration - Couple of Questions

I usually prefer to use .254 for consistency, and servers from .1 upwards. Dunno if MS are adopting similar conventions, I would doubt that the wizard checks the IP address though.

I've done a few migrations already (doing my first 2008 to 2011 this week) and there's no issue with HP servers installing the software after the migration. ML330s and ML350s are both recognised without the need for extra RAID drivers
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

First of all it is a recommendation and not a requirement.
      Secondly, it means that the wizard tries those addresses first, so it will find them quicker and preceed accordingly.

As to the asnwer file you can use the smartstart CD and put it on a USB drive/disk-on-key, as long as it is in the root directory. IIRC you can also leave it out until the second reboot. Only then does it actually read the answer file.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I changed my email address which forced me through the re-activation process - which didn't work so had to wait for the admin to sort it the manual way!

The migration went ok - a couple of gotchas but nothing major.

I left the router on the .100 address and it worked fine no issues, but I did wimp out of building the server with smartstart as the process was asking for stuff that was already in the answer file.

I'd really kike to know the ins and outs of that exact process for next time as its a better way to build the server.
        Regards,

Lee

Comment

I haven't used Smartstart since 2008 came out, as I mentioned before I just stick the HP DVD in after the server is built and it installs all the drivers and tools. I do like the System Manager and the Array Manager tools that HP provide. I've installed various ML and DL HP servers in this way, including ~10 SBS migrations.

The only possible issue is with low-end kit that has the B110i RAID controller, as Windows doesn't have a driver for it. However if you put it on the same USB drive as the answer file you're good to go.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            I haven't used Smartstart since 2008 came out, as I mentioned before I just stick the HP DVD in after the server is built and it installs all the drivers and tools.
            Which DVD are you talking about? The SmartSmart DVD? I thought that was for the initial config only and you then use ProLiant Support Packs once installed?
            Regards,

Lee

Comment

Same DVD these days. If you stick it in when Windows is running it'll autorun to the PSP installation screen and you can install the drivers etc.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X