Move XP computer from one domain to another

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move XP computer from one domain to another

I wiped out our SBS2008 server and resintalled with a new domain name. I have one XP box that was on the old domain with one user. She still logs in fine and all of her stuff is there. I would now like to run the connect wizard and join her pc to the new domain. Will the wizard allow me to move her current old domain profile to the new one? I know that when I join a workgroup computer to the domain it lets me click on some drop down menus and choose the local profile for the user to bring over to the domain. Im just not sure if the profile is from a previous domain if it will show up. Hope I made some sense and please excuse my grammar.

Re: Move XP computer from one domain to another

no, the previous profile will not migrate to the new domain.
    You would need a migration wizard tool.. i forget it's name sorry
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The ForensiT User Profile Wizard is a free download ~

http://www.forensit.com/downloads.html

Comment

One of the easiest ways I have found to move one users profile form one domain to another is to join the XP machine to the new domain as the admin, put Domain Users in the Administrators group in Local Users and Groups. Then log on as the user in the new domain, then log out. You may need to reboot, log back in as the domain administrator again, go to the C:\Documents and Settings.

Say your old domain was dom1 and the new one is newdomain, you'd have a user name jsmith.dom1 and one named jsmith.newdomain, rename jsmith.newdomain, jsmith.old

Then name jsmith.dom1, jsmith.newdomain. When the user logs in again on the new domain, all the setting from the previous domain's profile should be there.

Comment

Originally posted by turbogod View Post
          One of the easiest ways I have found to move one users profile form one domain to another is to join the XP machine to the new domain as the admin, put Domain Users in the Administrators group in Local Users and Groups. Then log on as the user in the new domain, then log out. You may need to reboot, log back in as the domain administrator again, go to the C:\Documents and Settings.

Say your old domain was dom1 and the new one is newdomain, you'd have a user name jsmith.dom1 and one named jsmith.newdomain, rename jsmith.newdomain, jsmith.old

Then name jsmith.dom1, jsmith.newdomain. When the user logs in again on the new domain, all the setting from the previous domain's profile should be there.
          Verify the NTFS permissions on the profile as well to ensure that the user's new user account (with a different SID) has the relevant permissions to the Profile folder.

Comment

You could try using FAST (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard) that is part of every XP system. It sometimes scr3ws up the Outlook profile but apart from that usually does a pretty good job.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If you add this PC to the domain here data etc will not be lost. It will create a new profile and all you will need to do is browse to document and settings and go to her old profile and copy over the required data.

You may or may not want to export her mail from outlook before you do this.

1: add to domain
              2: enable hidden files and folders and go to c:\document and settings\***profile name***
              3: Copy over data from desktop, favorites, my docs etc.

Generally the outlook file resides in the document and settings\profile name\local settings\application data\outlook so you should be able to import the mail from here

Comment

I can confirm that you can move Desktop, Documents, and favorites from accounts on the pc, but as far as Outlook goes, it must be a .pst- the *.ost will not be movable, and be sure to grab the .nk2 and rename it to whatever the new outlook profile name is. (people go CRAZY if that list isnt there lol)

Comment

Working...
                X