Failed SBS 2008 server in the middle of migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed SBS 2008 server in the middle of migration

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been on. I've run into a situation that I wanted to run by you guys and get your thoughts. This might be more of an Exchange 2007 question but here's the rundown:

(feel free to skip this back story)
    I had an SBS 2008 server that was having driver issues. Server won't boot. Talk to Microsoft and Dell and they determine that the only way to get the server back is to do a full recover. Fine. Did the full recover and the server runs fine for a month. Then I get the same driver error again and again MS says we need to do a full restore. Did the full restore and things are running again.

But at this point I'm pretty sure I'm restoring the issue. So I decide to do an SBS 2008 to 2008 migration and all goes smoothly.... until...

I have gone the the entire migration process except for uninstalling Exchange and demoting the old server. I shutdown the old server to see how things run with it off. Things seem to run fine for the day so I boot up the old server and I get the same driver error. At this point I can't do a restore of the server because my last backup of it is in a pre-migration state.

So here's what I wanted to run by everyone. Since I was at the very last step in the migration and have the new SBS 2008 server running everything and I have the old SBS 2008 server in a failed state with Exchange still on it and it's still a DC, my plan to resolve the issue is to:
    1. Forcefully remove the old server from the domain and do the metadata cleanup
    2. Reformat the old server and give it the exact same name as it had before
    3. Install Exchange in recovery mode
    4. Uninstall Exchange from the old server

Is there anything wrong with my plan? Anything I'm not thinking of in the SBS environment?

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Failed SBS 2008 server in the middle of migration

Not sure I undersatnd the problem here! Please clarify: are you doing SBS2008 to SBS 2008 or to Server 2008?
    Meta data cleanup - are you referring to removing the old SBS 2008 from the "new" AD via ntdsutil etc?
    I need an Exchange expert, but I am not sure that reinstalling the old SBS2008 can be done without installing Exchange and then Exchange setup as a recovery install.Usually just using the same name is not acceptable as it will have a different SID.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      Not sure I undersatnd the problem here! Please clarify:
      Will do!

are you doing SBS2008 to SBS 2008 or to Server 2008?
      Migrating SBS 2008 to SBS 2008

Meta data cleanup - are you referring to removing the old SBS 2008 from the "new" AD via ntdsutil etc?
      Yes, I'd clean the old (failed) SBS 2008 server out of AD from the new SBS 2008 server.

I need an Exchange expert, but I am not sure that reinstalling the old SBS2008 can be done without installing Exchange and then Exchange setup as a recovery install.Usually just using the same name is not acceptable as it will have a different SID.
      From what I understand, you can create a new computer object (completely new SID) and install Exchange with the RecoverServer switch. (I would build a Standard 2008 server and Exchange 2007 Std and not the SBS media).
      Here's the info from MS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...CHG.80%29.aspx
      It does say to not use this method
      When the server information is no longer in Active Directory
      But it also says that you should use this method
      When your server is no longer available, and you must prepare a new or existing computer to replace the failed Exchange server
      So the statement to not use this method when the server information is no longer in Active Directory might just refer to the Exchange objects. Or it could mean that the computer object needs to remain and I should just reset it (which would retain the SID) to join a new server to the domain.

If the latter is true then can I reset the computer object without doing the metadata cleanup, do the Exchange steps, then do the metadata cleanup?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would contact Jeff Middleton of SBSmigration.com at this point as I am sure he could help you going forward.
        There is also a method, I think, of removing the old Exchange server via ADSIEDIT if all the public folders have been rehomed to the new server.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I'll email Jeff and see what he says and let you know.

Everything is moved off the old Exchange server so deleting it from AD is an option but I saw a post by Simon saying this is not a good idea and that he always does a repair install and then uninstalls. That's the only reason I'm pursuing that route.

Also, after looking into it a bit more I definitely need to keep the same SID so a computer account reset is required. If I delete the computer object then the only option I have at that point is using ADSIedit to remove the server.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I guess I should give an update on this and let you know how it turned out.

So I was unable to get in touch with Jeff so I opened a ticket with MS. The tech said all we needed to do was to do the metadata cleanup and remove the Exchange server object using ASIDEdit. We did that back in Sept. and things have been running fine.

But I have no confidence in the tech I got. He almost deleted the ntds object from the non-failed server in ADSS. Luckily I caught it before he confirmed the deletion. And it wasn't an accident, he argued with me that it's what he's supposed to do for the metadata cleanup. He then showed me the document he was following and I pointed out to him the the document says to delete the failed server... duh!

Anyways, that was the first of several less than stellar encounters with MS tech support.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ah, the joys of MS technical support. I once logged a call with them for a PPTP site-to-site VPN issue and they refused to help me until I implemented their "fix", which was for an IPSEC VPN issue. Then their tech deleted the default route from the server and wondered why nothing worked.

They do have some really good, knowledgable techs, but you have to fight through several layers of dross to get to speak to them.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You need a lot of patience to get through tier one and two. Demand escaltion all the time and eventually you will get through to Las Colinas TX, where guys called Damian, Justin Dave and some other great guys will sort you out.
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'll push for escalation sooner next time I have to call in.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X