No announcement yet.

Fatal error during SBS 2003 setup - "The DCPromo component was not installed."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal error during SBS 2003 setup - "The DCPromo component was not installed."

Just had the above error when trying to setup SBS 2003. This comes after entering the AD domain name and setting the server's IP etc during the first stages of SBS setup. In system properties, the server shows that it is joined to a domain, ADUC and the associated tools are installed, but while there is a zone for the domain in DNS, it's empty.

Has anyone seen this before? Googling the error message doesn't really shed any light. I won't be back on site until Tuesday, but as there's so little progress been made so far I'm inclined to start the installation from scratch.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Fatal error during SBS 2003 setup - "The DCPromo component was not installed."

I would agree, start it from scratch mate.

And the next question will be... 2003, does it have to be.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Fatal error during SBS 2003 setup - "The DCPromo component was not installed."

Does it point to itself as the DNS?
      Is there another DHCP in the network?
      Did you connect the server to a switch without anything elses attached when you started the setup.
      As tehcamel suggests, start again. With the server alone connected to a switch.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in responding.

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        2003, does it have to be.. ?
        Yes, as it's the cheapest way to get what we need. For £100, we got a server with an OEM licence for SBS 2003 R2 Premium, which needed another £100 spending on new disks (replace SCSI with SATA and vastly increase the capacity).I fought hard to be allowed to spend that much - the previous server hardware literally cost £10, second hand from my old school. And I wish I were kidding...

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        Does it point to itself as the DNS?
        Yes - prior to this, all you can configure is the IP address and subnet mask (I believe, but may be wrong). Certainly if you are able to configure where it points for DNS, I would have pointed it at itself.

Is there another DHCP in the network?
        The only other DHCP is on the WAN router which will be connected to the WAN NIC on the server - but this was disconnected at the time.

Did you connect the server to a switch without anything elses attached when you started the setup.
        Further to the above, the only NIC which was connected was the LAN NIC which was connected to the core switch. Nothing else was on the network at the time.

As for the suggestion you both made - I will be starting again. After 10 days, the RAID array was only 58% built, so IO performance was pretty bad. For the time being, I've put the old SCSI disks back into the server and have left the existing system in place. I've managed to resurrect a previous server and have set that up as a replica DC etc on the existing system. Once things are migrated over to using the replica server for everything (file shares, printing etc), then I'll put the SATA disks back in the "main" server, build the RAID array and get SBS set up alongside (but disconnected from) the existing system.

Thanks again for your help guys
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X