No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Blank Desktop No Interface

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Blank Desktop No Interface

hello: i am having a strange problem with our win SBS 2008 R2 server (on HP Proliant ML110)

After the latest Microsoft Updates last week - when i login as any user at the server console i get a completely BLANK desktop and no taskbar or user interface EXCEPT the SBS Console Window. If i try CTRL ALT DEL to load the Task Manager it does not come up so i can't even load a command prompt.

In safe mode the desktop comes up fine...

...i tried running sfc and that didnt fix the problem.
    ...i check the program list and it did NOT list any Windows Updates recently which was confusing because just before this problem i remember installing updates...
    ...I also uninstalled the antivirus (Avira) that was on there and ShadowProtect thinking that might be part of it but no effect.

My next step is to boot into safe mode and then run msconfig and disable all non-Microsoft services/boot items i guess.

I had heard that also updating the BIOS might help although i'm not sure if there is one.

Would you recommend doing a System State Restore, or an OS Repair using the installation disks? I don't want to make the situation worse lol.

Not sure what the next best path to take is...

thank you for any suggestions!

Re: SBS 2008 Blank Desktop No Interface

from the SBS console, are you able to open event viewer ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

no - the "Reports" section comes up as "Error when loading this tab" (always has actually from day one!)..."no reports to display"

Updates tab shows "an error occurred while retrieving updates information"

Is there another way to get to Event Viewer?

I would firstly image the system
        Then in Safe Mode I would try to uninstall the latest updates.
        Finally I would try a system state restore.
        I may even use the image and restore it to a VM and try the fixes there.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.