No announcement yet.

2003 SBS -> 2011 SBS Group Policy Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 SBS -> 2011 SBS Group Policy Problem

I'm having a problem after migration from 2003 SBS -> 2011 SBS. I'm getting GPO 1030 errors in the event viewer, and can't use the Group Policy Management tool. It gives me an error - "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." when I expand the local domain.

The domain exists, as this is the only server on the network and it's the primary controller. The only thing I can think of is that I may have missed deleting some legacy group policy objects from the 2003 server before I finished the migration.

Any ideas how I can correct this problem?

Re: 2003 SBS -> 2011 SBS Group Policy Problem

Found the answer to my problem and wanted to post it here in case someone else has the same problem.

I think I was chasing the wrong initial evaluation of the problem.

Opening the GP Management tool I would get a msg - "Unable to connect to Domain Controller OEMSBSDN-xxxx.local". Turns out this was a value left over from the OEM installation done by Dell. These values should have been replaced with the name assigned to the domain at setup at the clients office.

I used ADSI Edit to change all instances of OEMSBSDN-xxxx to the correct value and a gpupdate /force was successful. GP Management now opens normally.