Lost a customer to Google Apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a customer to Google Apps

I had a real estate customer for the last five years and provided them exemplary service. I installed SBS 2003 at their head office five years ago. They had sales offices in five cities all connected by VPN.

The customer outgrew SBS when they got to 90 real estate agents. The traffic connecting to a shared folder across the VPN link was becoming demanding. The company decided to explore other company's ideas as well as listen to my proposal.

I suggested Microsoft hosted Exchange and SharePoint via Bell Canada, an agent for Microsoft hosted products. My customer went with Google Apps set up by another IT company. I have not read good reviews for Google Apps in an 'enterprise' environment. They paln to continue using Microsoft Outlook. I understand Google was hacked by the Chinese last month. I also heard Google scans your e-mail and pushes ads on you, even with paid enterprise level Google Apps.

The disappointing part is the years spent forging close business relationships to have them dissolve so fast. I started suggesting hosted Microsoft Exchange over a year ago in an attempt to help reduce licensing costs and to meet with the growing demands of this company.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Lost a customer to Google Apps

Is this a question or a statement?

At any rate, what's happened is a natural part of the vendor/customer lifecycle. Customers come and go. Consumers are fickle. Hopefully you gain and keep more than you lose. If losing this customer doesn't have a drastic impact on the bottom line I wouldn't spend a lot of time and energy beating yourself up over it.

Comment

Statement. It's nice to hear the reassurance. Thanks.
      Last edited by RobW; 7th August 2011, 01:41.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
        I understand Google was hacked by the Chinese last month.
        GMail was recently targeted via malware and phishing emails, not hacked.

I also heard Google scans your e-mail and pushes ads on you, even with paid enterprise level Google Apps.
        This can be disabled: http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/...n&answer=60758
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Don't forget that Hosted Exchange had big problems a couple of months ago. Went offline much to the joy of all their "clients".
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Call me a cynical luddite, but why would any business want to trust their critical data to someone else, when normally they don't even trust their own IT staff not to snoop into things.

How long will it be before we hear of the first case of cloud-based industrial espionage?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian, you are a cynical luddite (that us what you asked us to do, isn't it?)

RobW

Analyse the process that went on with the lost client, sum up all the pros cons, including learning GoogleApps offerings and apply that experience to the next set of clients so that you have a better chance of not losong them but taking them forward.
                We all have to do this and we will all have to change our business model as the clouds roll in.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If Ossian is a cynical luddite then so am I.

I've been pretty clear on my thoughts on cloud computing recently, sadly it's the latest industry buzzword (that and bloody tablets) and until there is a catastrophic failure we're stuck with it.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    until there is a catastrophic failure we're stuck with it.
                    Will this one do? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...power_outages/

And don't get me started on bloody "tablets"
                    I've used real Tablet PCs since 2004 and until a so called tablet lets me handwrite, with a stylus, and then converts into text for me, I'm missing out on the current crop, where finger painting is at the very limit of their abilities.

Why Apple didn't provide a pen interface is beyond me -- they would have come up with the ultimate "killer product".

Now back to my Motion LE1700 (1.5 kg, 1400 x 1050 display, Win 7 etc) and One-Note 2010
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      More than enough for me but until industry confidence is properly shaken nothing will happen.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                        If Ossian is a cynical luddite then so am I.

I've been pretty clear on my thoughts on cloud computing recently, sadly it's the latest industry buzzword (that and bloody tablets) and until there is a catastrophic failure we're stuck with it.
                        One more and we can form a Quartet!
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We will all have to adapt - add cloud services to our portfolios, or go out of business.
                          Some customers IMHO will never go o the cloud, some will embrace it wholeheartedly. Some will have catastophic failures and come "running back". Yet others will have tremendous success and their businesses will improve as they seemingly cut costs on IT.
                          But now this thread is getting off topic for this forum IMHO and can be continued in another more appopriate one...
                          The Luddite Quartet can remain here
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X