No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Server Topology

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Server Topology

Hi all,

I work mainly with server 2008 enterprise editions in a large educational sector that has virtually unlimited licencing options for server implementation. I have now been asked to assist in a SBS implementation in a commercial environment.

I am finding it difficult to locate accurate information about licence/setup options for an SBS 2K8 server and what is required for either an RODC in a branch or another 2K8 server in a branch office.

Can 2 SBS servers be in the one domain with each in a different site?

MS Blogs on the premium setup seem to suggest that an RODC should be in the same site??? This seems defeating of the purpose of a site based RODC?? I have spent about 2 hours on this and can't make head nor tail of it ... the normal supplier of my harware - whilst they sell SBS have no idea (or choose not to tell me) exactly what combinations are available for an SBS 2008 domain across sites/branches.

Is there a simple explanation somewhere that someone can point me at ....

Thanking you in anticipation ...

Re: SBS 2008 Server Topology

You are only allowed one repeat ONE SBS box per domain (and no trusts, so no multi domain forests). If there are more I believe they both start rebooting every hour.

There is nothing to stop you having additional servers (member server, DC or RODC) in the SBS domain -- you cannot move FSMOs but apart from that, no restrictions.

Not sure why they recommend a RODC in the same site -- to me an additional DC makes more sense.

Basically, SBS with exchange in your main site, additional DC in your child site (very much as normal )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **