Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRS "replica root path has changed"

Hi folks,

We have an unusual one here. We have migrated a server from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011, new hardware and all. Twice now we have had the server lock up and have trouble rebooting.

The only pattern I can see is event 13559 in the NTFRS log:

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica root path has changed from "c:\windows\sysvol\domain" to "c:\windows\sysvol\domain". If this is an intentional move then a file with the name NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT needs to be created under the new root path.
    This was detected for the following replica set:
    "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
    As you can see, the path has not changed. This message will appear every few days and then the server will become unresponsive. The mouse moves on the screen and you can try to log in, but once you have done that very little else happens. Exchange cannot be accessed from Outlook, file shares go away but DNS forwarding appears to still work as the Internet is OK on PCs.

The first time, we created the move file and restarted FRS. That moved all the policies out of the folder so we had to put them back in. Two days later the server locked up and it took a few reboots before the server would start up properly.

Today, we did not do the same. First we tried a reboot (forced power off, push power button back on) which failed. When starting up we had some network connectivity appear during "Applying omputer Settings" but that changed to "Default Domain Controllers Policy". When that appeared on screen the server was unresponsive and like before the PCs had nothing but an Internet connection.

It stayed this way for an hour. Second reboot was a forced power off with the addition of removing the power cable for a bit before starting the server back up. The server then started up fine and event 13559 is no longer being logged

The server is a HP ML350 G6 with ample resources, a recent Proliant Support Pack and MS Updates to a month or so ago. We have other pretty much identical servers out there without issue. The main difference here is that this server runs Kaspersky with Mozy online backup software. We normally use Trend Worry Free Business Standard.

Any suggestions where to start folks? Right now I have no cause at all and nothing other than event ID 13559 being logged which I believe is more a sympton than a cause.

Re: FRS "replica root path has changed"

The plot thickens.

Another lockup this morning with no NTFRS errors, no logs. Nothing.

I have spotted some other errors in event viewer which I don't think are related. There are some schannel errors approximately an hour before the lockup.

Event ID 36887, Schannel: The following fatal alert was received: 48.

Event ID 36888, Schannel: The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203.

I have uninstalled Mozy in case that had anything to do with it but there's no crash dumps or anything like that because it doesn't completely crash.

Comment

Have you tried running the FRSDiag tool which you can DL from MS?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Yes, as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with FRS it just logs the errors in the few days leading up to a lockup and then they go away again. That's why I suspect they are a symptom of the problem rather than the cause.

Comment

Does the new server have all the FSMO roles? Is it still trying to replicate with the old server, by any chance, when it locks up?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

It does indeed hold all the roles. The old server was dcpromo'd out of the domain gracefully. It is also worth noting that the most recent lockup did not bring forth these messages.

Personally, I am inclined to blame Mozy Pro as the problem. We have two clients that use this. One on SBS 2008 and this one. The 2008 server has been sluggish ever since Mozy was put on and locked up a few days after Mozy was installed. It hasn't locked up since but has required reboots due to resource issues.

Unfortunately the only way I can test that theory is to leave the system running for a few months and see how stable it is.

Comment

Working...
            X