Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SBS 2008 over SBS 2003: start over clean

Hi everyone,

I have SBS 2003 running on a server with 3 users, which I want to replace with SBS 2008. We don't use Exchange anymore, we just moved to Google Apps. We have a pretty basic use of the server: runing some software and store/share files.

We want to switch to SBS 2008. I'm thinking our system is so simple that I might rather install SBS 2008 from scratch, clean, over the SBS 2003 installation. I can't afford another computer for testing purposes, I have to install on the current server, live.

Installing clean would spare me the apparent nightmare of migration........ (form what I read). However, we have 3 users, and I'd like them to still be able to access their account - at least, I'd like their new account to look like their old: same domain login, same wallpaper, same files/shortcuts on the desktop, same files in their docs & settings, same access to the shared file that are on a separate partition anyway.

Is there an EASY way to do that? (i.e., without migrating). Since I only have 3 users, I don't mind manually copying files too much.

I'd appreciate any input on this matter... I'm not an expert, but I rather have a "power user" profile - assembled PCs, installed multiple OS' in the past. But never a server.

Thanks to you all!

PS: I'm installing form 2003 32bit to 2008 64bits.

Re: Installing SBS 2008 over SBS 2003: start over clean

For three users, seriously consider the new domain
    Before joining the clients, run migwiz and do a manual profile backup, then run it again to reload the profile after domain join.

Shared files and permissions can be documented and recreated easily -- there are tools to enumerate them.

But without Exchange (IMHO a mistake, but never mind) you could almost get away with regular Server 2008R2
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For three users and no Exchange I would seriously consider purchasing SBS 2011 Essentials - a new version of SBS for up to 25 Users including client backup .
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Ossian and tiger.

I will looking into running the Migration Wizard (that's what you call migwiz, right?) on each client computer. I have already installed the SBS 2008 over SBS 2003, so I can't go get anything from SBS 2003 anymore. I hope it doesn't matter for the backup of the profiles that you suggest?

Regarding SBS 2008 without Exchange, that's what makes the most sense to me. We got SBS 2008 at a discounted price via TechSoup, for non-profits, and the goal is not to run on the best server possible, it's to be as up to date as we can given what we already have.

As for Exchange, since we are running on Google Apps for emails, I don't see the point of using it. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by nomade0 View Post

As for Exchange, since we are running on Google Apps for emails, I don't see the point of using it. Do you?
          Depends on what else you want, Exchange offers more than just email with all the collaboration features, shared calendars etc. Plus I am a born cynic and don't trust ANYONE with my critical services where I don't control them, other than ISP which isn't an option.

Whatever you do though, don't attempt to remove Exchange from SBS or make any changes to it, as you will break SBS in spectacular fashion.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Not a problem for me. We use Google Apps for email, calendars, contacts, etc. - So no need for Exchange. I see no reason to uninstall it either. Thanks.

Right now I'm stuck at joining the client computers to the domain. Until I solve that, I can't copy the profiles anyway, so this thread is in suspense.

I will try the migwiz tool when I get a chance though. Thanks everyone for your help.

-Olivier

Comment

What problem are you having with clients?
              Have you tried joining them to a workgroup, THEN to the domain, rather than olddomain straight to newdomain?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I solved my problem. It was detailed on the following thread: 56702

Thanks anyway!

Comment

Now I have 5 posts, I can post links, FINALLY. I was saying, my joining domain problem was solved, and detailed on this thread: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=56702

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X