SBS 2003 DC with Virtualisation?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 DC with Virtualisation?

Hello all,

Thanks for looking at this.
    Basically I have a problem and would like someone to point me in the right direction.

I wanted to install VMWare on a SBS 2003 DC so I can reserve part of the hardware for another installation of Win 2003 which will contain some database software. Then I can keep the database and the main server separate.

Now I know this cannot be done so what other options do I have?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Re: SBS 2003 DC with Virtualisation?

buy a new server.
    Install HyperV, or Xen Server, or esx, or esxi.

Install a new guest OS with your database and whatever else.

When you're ready, swing-migrate your SBS2003 server to an sbs2008 virtual server.
    I wouldn't recommend moving the SBS server straight onto virtual hosting.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Was just trying to avoid spending money on buying equipment. The DC is massively overspec'd and was hoping to utilise it a bit more.

Any other ideas?

FYI SBS 2003 is not officially supported in any VM. Having said that I have one that works in production with no side issues AFAIK.
        If your DC is overspec'ed, backup your SBS. Install your Hypervisor of choice. Restore your SBS into the new VM, install your other server (with trial software) beside it.
        Now instead of spending your money on additional hardware, go buy SBS 2011 with Premium Add-on and you will find that you still have money left over to buy a Swing Migration kit so that you can upgrade your 2003 to 2011 and your premium add on gives you anpther 2008 R2 License + SQL 2008 R2 + 5 Premium CALs.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.