help with testing on virtual host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with testing on virtual host

I've already got SBS 2008 running on our production server. I'm going to be trying out some new antivirus solutions and want to do a test install on a virtual system.

I'm doing most of my testing from my home mac (lion) so I'm using either Parallels (boo!), fusion (yea!) or virtualbox (yea because it's free). This really covers all the major virtual hosts with the exception of microsofts solutions.

So when I get to the part about "connect to the internet" using the wizards it's always going to tell me the there is a DHCP server running at x.x.x.x. Stop the external DHCP server and the click continue..." (see screenshot). So I cannot move forward with wizard based installs.

What host solution that I have available have you installed SBS 2008 (with wizards) and how do you kill the host DHCP (even temporarily) so I can get past this hurdle and have an install just like my current system.

thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: help with testing on virtual host

Can you set up a separate VLAN for the test environment?

Alternatively stop the DHCP service temporarily -- just make sure no-one manages to get an IP from your test SBS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: help with testing on virtual host

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Can you set up a separate VLAN for the test environment?

Alternatively stop the DHCP service temporarily -- just make sure no-one manages to get an IP from your test SBS
      I've never setup a VLAN before so that may take more time to research and implement then I'm willing todo at the moment.

The concern is the host software created it's own DHCP and I couldn't figure out how to turn this off but now I think I"m on the right track. I had to setup the virtual OS to use a bridged (pass through) so it picks up the IP of my true network and then implement your suggestion of turning off DHCP on the Apple wireless router.

So we'll give that a shot tonight but your suggestion has me understanding a way to tackle this. I was only thinking in the terms of the host and client system and the unique IP it generates for the virtual client. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X