Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what virus software for SBS do you like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what virus software for SBS do you like?

I've been using AVG for the last year and the subscription is up. There are a few things I didn't like about it (won't go into detail here) but overall it was OK. I"m curious to what other products others have used and liked that will handle the following need:

provide email scanning on exchange server
    protect the server
    protect clients on the domain

All with an ease of setup which AVG was good at.

Re: what virus software for SBS do you like?

We use Sophos, both the SBE edition and Enterprise Console are supported on SBS. SBE comes bundled with PureMessage for email security as well.

In the Gartner magic quadrant Sophos is a match for all the major players in terms of virus detection, and tends to come top for ease of management.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      We use Sophos, both the SBE edition and Enterprise Console are supported on SBS. SBE comes bundled with PureMessage for email security as well.

In the Gartner magic quadrant Sophos is a match for all the major players in terms of virus detection, and tends to come top for ease of management.
      Thanks. I'm poking around on their website and like all the enterprise providers nothing is to obvious to the new guy. Could you confirm for me what product would cover exchange, console as well as clients. Would this be the Puremessage you mention? I see that it's for the Exchange but am sure if the package includes client licensing too. Or are resellers the ones to bug on such questions?

EDIT: Or are they purchases ala carte?

Comment

ESET, Symantec, Trend, Kasperksy, even Macafee are all popular AV solutions. Don't dig too deep as you are likely to spark off a religious war! All have their advantages/disadvantages so pick what you feel most comfotable with. After all, if you don't feel comfortable with t, it possibly won'y be managed well and that is the MOST dangerous.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

eek! It's one of those topics eh? Sounds like my Vw Vanagon group that will argue till blood comes out of the computer over tire ratings...yet nobody has ever had a tire problem in 20 years!

With that said...which one have you used and approve of!

I tried Kasperksy last summer and had either some config concerns that I don't recall or some other bug preventing me from moving forward with it. So in my case I'm looking for a solution that sets up fairly easy and "just works" for simple needs. Not all SBS 2008 owners are uber experienced MS techs but do know enough to get the job done.

For example I saw modules for the clients listed for encryption for Sophos which may be over the top for my needs. So should have listed in my original post a need only for exchange and clients for virus and spam.

Comment

Sophos Control Center is the small business version, includes client AV and exchange av/antispam in the form of PureMessage.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We've just migrated from Sophos Enpoint Security to ESET - purely down to cost. Ive never had any problems with sophos but on the first install of ESET all hell broke loose.

There were software file issues with the server and ESET but nothing too serious, it has on occasion blue screened but I think this is down to the fact Im still working out whats best config wise.

All in all and price wise Im happy with moving across.

Good luck!

Comment

I've used both Symantec Endpoint and Panda Admin Secure in several different enviroments without any major difficulties.

James

Comment

Working...
                X