SBS 2011 on public IP range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 on public IP range

I've been hired to install SBS 2011 for a client with an existing workgroup (30 PCs)
    SBS was specified and purchased already -- I had no input in that decision.
    On initial site inspection, PCs are using public IPs, so planned to move them to private IP range.

Have just been told public IPs are required to make some LoB application work and are assigned by a 3rd party so no prospect of changing them . As I understand it this will not work with SBS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957717

Any possible solutions -- dual homing client NiCs possibly -- or will SBS work with a public IP address, just unsupported?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: SBS 2011 on public IP range

I ran into this doing a migration to SBS 2008 from 2003. The customer's previous IT Support Company had picked a random block of IPs which apparently spelt rude words backwards or some other equally ludicrous reason.

Anyhoo, I don't know if this is supported or not (I never tried it as I could move to a private range) but apparently the checks in the wizard are only for clean installs and migrations, so the range could be changed to a public one again after migration/installation. Whether or not this still works in 2011 I don't know.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cheers -- will give it a try if I know it works in 2008

All other input gratefully accepted!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to update this thread:
        Installed on a private IP range and ran Connect ot the Internet and Set up your Internet Address Wizards
        Changed IP in networking, then reconfigured DNS name servers
        Found more references to IP in Exchange Connectors, and have corrected them

At the moment everything seems :crossfingers: to be working OK
        Tom Jones
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

There is no reason it shouldn't work - except if you aren't officially assigned those addresses and you try to get to one of them by some obscure chance or a web site or other is hosted there.
          Anyway, the setup the Internet wizard won't like those addresses and uPnP definitely won't be able to set up your router - something I choose never to let it do anyway. So you'll have to wait for a couple of timeouts on that one until you can say "skip test".
          I would also set up DHCP accordingly and "assign" the ip addresses via reservations. A PITA but helps keep things glued together.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X