Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2K3 Premium-SP1 -Dell PowerEdge 1800-Install Open Manage Suite; or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2K3 Premium-SP1 -Dell PowerEdge 1800-Install Open Manage Suite; or no?

I've been an IT guy for a long time. My motto has always been 'KISS' (Keep It Simple Stupid) especially on servers. That said..

I have a client that purchased (March 2005) a Dell PowerEdge 1800 Dual Xeon Raid 5 with hot spare (6 Maxtor 250 GB SATA's). The Server is Mission Critical.

I engaged the client in mid-August 2005 and one of the 6 hard drives had already failed (end-o-July 2005) and been replaced by Dell (Nice having the 3 year onsite warranty).

In August another drive failed- October 2005 another- This month-November 2005- 2 more failed. It seems that all the failed drives (Maxtor's) were of a M0 generation or something (not on the top of my head now) -we had Dell replace the final drive (left from the final configuration) this week; for obvious reasons.
    Interestingly enough, my client is pretty astute and had requested Western Digital hard drives to begin with and was told by Dell: Can't specify- so you might imagine he has been pretty hot over the issue the past few months..

The original setup of the server did not include Dell's Open Manage. The IT guy apparently chose not to install it. Then the IT company before me-chose not to install it.

When the Dell Technicians have come out to replace the drive(s), they have inquired about Open Manage Array Manager-Which is not installed. It would be nice to have the Dell Open Manage Suite to monitor and view system status-especially the drives

When the client asked me about installing it- I was hesitant and stated that the previous techs had opted not to - and my instinct was to not install it based on technical history and system management layers on top of system management layers, especially with SBS.

Maybe I'm being too legacy here; these OpenView, Open Manage, what was Compaq's- Insight or something?- Have been real patchy and have introduced problems where there were none

The client is requesting that I install Dell Open Manage, so I'm doing some due diligence

Does anyone have any advice, tips, hints, experience pro/con with Dell's Open Manage (I believe v. 4.5 is current?) - especially on SBS 2003?

Thanks in advance,

Wad4iPod

Re: SBS 2K3 Premium-SP1 -Dell PowerEdge 1800-Install Open Manage Suite; or no?

If given the chance i always install the openmanage software that ships with Dell servers. If i find it missing then i will install it on the server.

This is my personal opinion.

Comment

Check out the SMVP SP1 document on www.smallbizserver.net, it has some very specific mentions about Dell Open Manage there. In particular, you need version 4.4 IIRC
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'm running it with no issues on sbs 2003. It has some nice monitoring features that without it you just dont get.

Comment

Not bad - 6 months for a reply Hot topic, eh?
          Seriously I always use the SmartStart, Director, or Manufacturer supplied CD's to start the setup - it's teh easiest way to get all the drivers onto the machine. Especially if you check the manuf's web site and make sure you have the latest version (or download it). That way OpenManage is sure to be on the server.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
            Not bad - 6 months for a reply Hot topic, eh?
            Seriously I always use the SmartStart, Director, or Manufacturer supplied CD's to start the setup - it's teh easiest way to get all the drivers onto the machine. Especially if you check the manuf's web site and make sure you have the latest version (or download it). That way OpenManage is sure to be on the server.

Sorry I'm new to the site and I was just searching for sbs issues and found this one and thought I could help... Didn't even look at the date lol

Comment

No Problem and welcome to the site. You are already in the community spirit if you post answers when you are new to the site. Most come looking for answers and leave after they find them. Hang around a while and you'll find it interesting and maybe even fun!!
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
                No Problem and welcome to the site. You are already in the community spirit if you post answers when you are new to the site. Most come looking for answers and leave after they find them. Hang around a while and you'll find it interesting and maybe even fun!!
                Thank you I will be around for a while, this is a great site from what I have seen so far. Glad to be a part of it.

Comment

I realize this post is very old, but it comes up near the top of a Google search for 'openmanage sbs' AND SO, I will add my $0.25

OpenManage Remote Install and SBS 2003 DO NOT play nice together! SBS's DHCP will silently fail to bind to any adapters when OMRI is installed. You can right click your server...choose properties...bindings and check boxes to your heart's content ala http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;298490 but your changes silently won't stick.

Nothing reports a problem, like when AD detects an ADSL router serving DHCP--it just silently fails to bind. sigh

Took me 2 hours on a Saturday to figure out why DHCP had failed after a reboot.

RTFM. Maybe there is a way to make them play nice. But a default install of everything on the OpenManage Systems Management version 4.2 onto an SBS 2003 Server isn't a good idea!

Nick67

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    Check out the MVP SP1 document on www.smallbizserver.net, it has some very specific mentions about Dell Open Manage there. In particular, you need version 4.4 IIRC
                    So I'm not really surprised if you have issues with v4.2!!
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

I also install the OS by useing the Dell OpenManage CD supplied in the box with the Server.

However, I find it strange that when ever I order a Dell Server with SBS 2003 or Windows 2003 pre-installed by Dell, OpanManage is not installed by default?! surely, it would be very easy to include the install of OpenManage (or at least provide the option for it) during the post install configuration script that is run to complete the install of the OS.

Or is it possible that Dell do not want a possible claim for damages due to conflicts/issues OpenManage may cause...

Comment

Most OEM installs of SBS are not "optimum" to say the least.
                        If you scour the newsgroups and on-line communities you will most likely see that IT Pro's wipe out the OEM install and start again with the management partition and multiple data paritions.
                        YMMV but it often pays in the long run to get a pro to do it.
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X