SBS 2011 adding second server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 adding second server

Hello all

Just wanted to clarify something...

I have SBS 2011 standard installed and I want to add a second server (Win 2008 R2). I have seen it suggested that the process it simply a matter of UTFW ( h**p://connect) and then DCPromo. I am not sure that is correct... the h**p://connect feature of SBS 2011 does not support Win2008 server, only workstation OS ( vista, win7 etc..) ( n.b. It also needs .Net framework 4 installed on the client which is a feature addon for Win2008R2 server as 3.5.1 and then update, update update to 4 - or download .Net 4...)

Anyway, the point is, "h**p://connect" does not work with Win 2008 server. Is it therefore the case that the actual process is to first join the domain, then add the admin account of the SBS 2011 server and then DCPromo? ( Unless the fact I am using SBS 2011 standard matters? i.e. SBS 2011 Premium does allow 2nd server adding via h**p://connect ?)

What is the best practice concerning adding a second server to SBS 2011? I am using SBS 2011 standard - is the method the same as SBS 2011 premium?

Many thanks for advice/help ( pls forgive the ** use, its my first post and I need 5 before URLs are allowed)

Re: SBS 2011 adding second server

Just add the second server to the domain in the usual way.
    I wouldn't use Connect to do so, because you aren't putting users on it. Therefore there is no user configuration to be done.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Put the configured server into the SBServers OU in AD when you are finished.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        Put the configured server into the SBServers OU in AD when you are finished.
        OK, so remove the second server from "Domain Controllers" OU and add it to the "SBSServers" OU ?

I ran DCPromo on the second server and I presume this is what added the second server to the DC OU ( and not left it in SBSComputers OU)... I've seen some articles describing that adding a second machine (client or server) will place them in SBSComputers - but running DCPromo appears to have changed the second servers OU to DC.. I guess my question is does your advice still apply?

Since I've brought it up, it would appear as though the SBSServers OU has all the same security group memberships and permissions as the DC OU, PLUS a few more ( e.g. Account Operators & Print Operators )... However, the default install for SBS 2011 and SBS 2008 places the primary server in the DC OU ( I assume this is correct...?)

Does DCPromo supersede the need to manually move a server from SBSComputers in that its role has been elevated and accordingly assigned to the DC OU?

many thanks for your reply and advice BTW!!

If you have made it a DC, do NOT move it from the Domain Controllers OU
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

thats what I thought, Cheers!