No announcement yet.

HTTP and HTTPS traffic issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTTP and HTTPS traffic issues

Hi Everybody,

I've been having problems with getting Exchange emails from SBS 2008 on my iPhone when on the internal network.

Externally everything works fine. The phone points to the external IP of my router and I never have a problem with picking up emails.

Once attached to my wireless internally the email will not collect. If I change the address to the internal IP of the server whilst attached to the wifi then it works fine.

Today I have been fiddling around and found that from any device on the network I cannot access HTTP or HTTPS via the external address. I can however ping the external address fine from inside so it seems that somewhere the HTTP and HTTPS traffic is either getting lost or being blocked?

The network is quite simple, running a Netgear DG834GT router and only a handful of devices running either from the router or a Netgear switch. The SBS server is dishing out the DHCP.

I've tried temporarily disabling the SBS firewall and it still won't work so I don't believe the traffic is being stopped here. I've checked all the settings on the router and can't see anything that would cause this or that would remedy it either.

Can anybody offer any pointers please?

Many thanks,

Re: HTTP and HTTPS traffic issues

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it is a DNS issue:
    IPhone has external name ( as the server to connect to
    Externally (on 3G), this can be resolved
    Internally, what does it resolve to?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: HTTP and HTTPS traffic issues

I'm using IP addresses to connect rather than names so there shouldn't be a DNS issue.

This is why I'm thinking a routing or blocking issue?