Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 - RRAS wont start error 340

Hi All,

Our server is ageing a bit and currently trying to convince the powers that be that they need to replace it...

Anyway, last week something threw a paddy and went to look at the server it was in the process of rebooting itself.

After everything started back up all appeared fine, however after a few days i noticed that VPN's were not working any more.

Consulting the event logs only shows the following

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 340 (0x154).

I have read a number of forums but not found a fix that works for me.

Some suggested a problem with registration of MDAC libraries, i have reinstalled the mdac components and re-registered.

some suggested a registry fix, and some involved replacing the IAS database because it was corrupt.

I have tried all of these and rebooted yet still it will simply not start, i have tried the microsoft knowlegebase but this doesn't seem to have ANY articles dealing specifically with this error.

I thought about reinstalling the service but its not its own service in add and remove components so i have now tried adding and removing IAS service under network services to achieve this.

Im at a bit of a loss as to what if anything got damaged to cause this error.

If anyone has any ideas of advice on what i can try?

Server itself is an hp prolient server, with 2003 sbs with latest service packs,
    single NIC, vpn configured automatically by sbs remote access wizard, originally, but have since tried to run this again which fails, as service isnt running. Manual configuration from RRAS applet itself fails to start with same 340 error.

Thanks
    Ben Gillam MCP/MCSA 2003 - IT Manager (IGC Group)

Re: SBS 2003 - RRAS wont start error 340

Hi everyone, made (hopefully) some progress, having checked the rraslog.txt again i spotted

*** Configuring Remote Access Policy returned ERROR 80072030

which when i looked into this suggests that the My Business OU is missing, which when i looked it is, but I did not delete it, it seems to have just gone since the server rebooted itself, most odd.

Anyway the fix is said to be to reinstall the administration component of SBS, i will be attempting this tonight and having another go.

Just hoping that this isnt just a secondary error that isnt related.

Comment

Thanks for updating us. Let us know how it goes.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

sorry for slow response on this one have had exchange issues as well which have been more of a priority, did the MyBusiness fix and that fixed one error but now have further errors starting the service.

I am going to attempt a reset of tcp/ip as requested on ms technet/social forum.

link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-6405536cac8c

will post back how i get on.

Comment

I would be very hesitant of going that route on SBS (removing and re-installing TCP/IP. You are a DC, DHCP, DNS and WINS as well as Exchange, IIS, WSS and WSUS servers.
          I feel you may break more than you fix unless you have experince of trying that method on SBS.
          How about running the Change IP Address wizard on the server to something else (like 192.168.222.2) and then changing it back again (providing you are sitting at the console - otherwiase you will lose communications). The wizard takes care of all the changes necessary to keep your server running.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Hey all, i thought i would follow up how i got on with this problem as i finally had a chance to work on it,

i was recommended to do a tcp/ip reset, however i didnt have access to the building over the weekend so my work was all done remotely and couldnt risk losing access .

I had previously run the rarrepair.exe tool mentioned on most of the forums dealing with RRAS errors but it didnt seem to do much, and when i started working on this yesterday afternoon i noted that the RRAS icon and service had disappeared completely so i figured i would run the tool again, and after doing that and rebooting the RRAS service was back... and it worked!

Very happy now as I also managed to conquer the exchange issues we have been having soon, just a shame i had to do it on my own time!

Comment

Thanks for posting back. Appropriate reputation points added!
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X