No announcement yet.

Play games out of work hours

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play games out of work hours

We are looking at a way to allow users to have access to a folder based on the time of day.

Normally we have a fairly comprehensive list of software that is restricted (via hash in the GPO) but we have quite a few people who stay late currently (waiting for buses, partners to collect them etc) and we are looking at allowing them to use certain software outside of work hours i.e. Solitaire.

We are looking at possibly sharing a folder with a modified executeable (to avoid the hashing GPO) but would like to restrict access to that folder to say 6pm -> Midnight.

I understand we would need to set the NTFS permissions up so that the users permission is effectively only Traverse Folder / Execute File to prevent them copying the file to their desktop and playing whenever they want.

Is this possible or should I look at another approach?

Many thanks

Re: Play games out of work hours

Please confirm that this is on an SBS machine. Ta.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

How about if these users read a book, listen to music or watch videos on their smart phones, browse the internet, etc., etc.

Honestly I've never heard of such a thing. Setting up a share, accessible only for 6 hours a day, so that users don't get bored waiting for the bus? Seriously?

What if they get hungry or have to go pee-pee? Who's going to help them with that?

1. Learn cacls/xacls command(s)
        2. Schedule task to give permissions at 6:00pm
        3. Play away
        4. Schedule task to revoke permissions at 12:00am

You asked.
        We provided.
        This had better be SBS!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Wot, not Wizard???
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

biggles77 - yes it is on an SBS 2003 machine.

joeqwerty - to paraphrase Alfred Lord Tennyson, ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die My boss has asked me to find a way to do this, my answer, especially in this economic climate, is 'yes sir'. If he wants me to find a way to support the users if they get hungry or need to go pee-pee, I will try and find a way. Whilst I agree in principal with your sentiments, I'm not going to take a stand on an issue like this while I have bills to pay I hope you understand.

teiger - thank you - I will investigate this route unless there is a better way that you would recommend. and yes, it is SBS

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and help out, even if you don't think it is the right thing to be doing!

just tell your boss that the financial ramifications of your taking the time to learn how to do this outweighs the desired outcome.

Basically - if you can show him that it's going to take approximately 25 hours of your time, to write an XCACLS script to do this, and that would take you away from real work, he may change his mind
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

If I thought it would genuinely take me 25 hours to learn the scripting, I would probably change jobs

Looks pretty simple using icacls. Set up the share with the acl I want for acess, export it to sharing.acl. Set up the acl on the share so it is blocked, icacls c:\games\* /save Blocked.Acl /T.

Set up a job to run icacls c:\games\ /restore sharing.acl at 6pm, and another job to run icacls c:\games\ /restore blocked.acl at midnight.

Or have I missed something?

Though I do appreciate, again, your sentiment. If I did believe it would take a heck of a lot of development I would put it to my boss. If he, in his PHB wisdom, still decided he wanted me to implement it even though I have pointed it out it will take several weeks of labour and possibly revoking a few laws of physics - I'll do as I'm told. His company, his money, his rules

Separate, time limited, logon account with permission on the games
                  User logs off after day job
                  Logs on again as "LamerGamer"
                  Plays games
                  Logs off and goes home

Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

-=bb=-, True enough about not asking why... although sometimes you do need to ask.

If this is something you must do, then you must. Good luck with it.