Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 Migration won't connect to 2003 SBS Domain

Hi folks,

Done a couple of migrations now, unfortunately this one is being a pig.

When running through the Migration installer, it gets to the Source and Destination server information and no matter what I do it errors with "Cannot connect to the domain" "verify that the domain name and log on credentials are correct, and then try again"

If I look on the SBS 2003 machine, event 529 Unknown username or bad password is logged with the relevant user account.

I've created a few brand new accounts, one by copying the administrator account and one new basic user that was then added to the domain/enterprise/schema admin groups as stated in the mirgation guide from MS.

I've changed the RPC server to run as local system as that has caused problems in the past.

I've resolve an NTFS journal wrap issue.

I've checked the SBS Best Practise Analyser and done anything that suggested

I've checked dcdiag and netdiag - resolve an issue witha couple of services not started.

Firewall is disabled

a/v client is unistalled.

I've tried different switches.

Both servers can ping each other, dns lookup for both the server name and the fqdn come up fine in a command prompt on the new server.

Source server only has 1 nic, no external DNS in DHCP or manual.

SBSSetup.log has this:

[4820] 110905.141801.7582: Setup: Pinging old server name.
    [4820] 110905.141802.0603: Setup: Ping reply status = Success
    [4820] 110905.141810.3647: Setup: Connecting to domain and validating credentials.
    [4820] 110905.141810.3727: Setup: Networking might not ready, retry 1 here
    [4820] 110905.141810.8778: Setup: Networking might not ready, retry 2 here
    [4820] 110905.141811.3978: Setup: Networking might not ready, retry 3 here
    I'm all out of things to try, can anyone spot something that I have missed?

Re: SBS 2011 Migration won't connect to 2003 SBS Domain

Some minor points.

If I bring up a command prompt from the 2011 install, I can issue a net user \\oldserver\c$ and specify DOMAIN\username with password. This connects OK and then I can remove it with /delete

The two servers are talking however there must be something configured on the source server that denies the connection types that are being attempted by the setup wizard.

eventvwr.msc from the same command prompt doesn't bring up anything of use.

Edit: I can even bring up Internet Explorer via the command prompt and browse the net on the 2011 machine
    Last edited by beddo; 9th May 2011, 15:38.

Comment

Argg. How iritated am I. I set the date and time properly in the bios before starting the build but I just went to check it again to be on the safe side. It had jumped forward 4 months to September!

Stupid flipping computers!

Comment

I was reading this thread and thinking I had this issue last month, I bet the date and time are wrong, then saw your last post.

The other problem I had was that the FRS service had been disabled on the source server. No idea why, and none of the wizards, BPAs etc picked it up. Took me 3 goes on the migration to figure that one out.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

did you ever figure this out?

Comment

Did you ever figure this problem out?
            [MOD EDIT]
            Damn lousy QoS these days -- no authoritative reply in 29 whole minutes -- you really should demand a refund!

Please read Cruachan's post immediately below this and follow the rules in future
            [/MOD EDIT]
            Last edited by Ossian; 17th November 2011, 09:40.

Comment

Read post number 3, followed by the forum rules, particularly the sections about thread bumping.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ok Guys, whoever mentioned the Time/Date issue helped me out.
                I also set my BIOS clock correctly before starting this migration, but low and behold my time and date were not correct.

In case you did not have the option of changing the time/date and time zone settings (option was greyed out for me), you can "Shift + f10" and bring up a command prompt. From there you can type time, and set that, then date and set that as well. Make sure you are as accurate as possible.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X