Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Connection disables Office PC connection

Hi there,

Odd one that I haven't seen before. We have recently set up a VPN connection for a client on their SBS 2003 server and it works.

One user has some software installed on their PC and configured to their account. When they are in the office they use it. When they are out of the office, someone else uses that PC and they connect in via the VPN.

What happens however is that only one can work at a time. If the PC is logged in, the moment the VPN connects up then the PC can no longer talk to the server.

If the VPN is connected up first then logging in the PC will cause the VPN to lose connectivity.

I've not seen this kind of behaviour before as things aren't normally limited to single connections. Is anyone aware of a particular setting that may affect this?

Note: We are using the built in SBS VPN. I am aware that we can give the user a separate account just for the VPN but that doesn't really fix the cause of the problem.
    Last edited by beddo; 28th April 2011, 13:05.

Re: VPN Connection disables Office PC connection

Are you talking about an application or only VPN?
    What you are saying doesn't make sense. PC in the office gets an IP of say 192.168.16.23. PC outside of the office will get a different IP say 192.168.16.32 in the same subnet. There is nothing that disconnects one PC or the other from the server unless is it specific to an application.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I know, that's what confused me. A bit more explanation.

We recently took over this setup which is an SBS 2003 server. It had a watchguard running NAT through a cruddy little router also running NAT. We didn't have the login details for either and the admin interface to the Watchguard didn't even seem to work.

We were replacing the router with a decent Draytek, so thought we may as well do away with the Watchguard. The watchguard was acting as a VPN server, with the watchguard software installed on the clients.

The only things being accessed over the VPN are Outlook, fileshares and an access database and these all worked fine with the watchguard.

After putting in the Draytek we set up the SBS VPN and everything seemed to work until we got this call.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the PC has been assigned a static IP that the VPN has now claimed and it is pure coincidence that the PC and VPN sessions are of the same username.

Comment

Are there overlapping subnets between the VPN client and the server? Is the "use default gateway" setting enabled at the vpn client?
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

I'm not sure of the client end but I think it is on 192.168.something.

Server is on 10.0.0.0/24

I've done a quick check on the server and PC is using DHCP so no static IP Problem. The RAS assigned IPs are visible as separate.

Use default gateway should be checked because it all works unless both are in use at the same time.

I think it'll have to wait until we can get access to do further tests, the user in concerned is now working away for at least a week so they can just not use the PC concerned if it causes problems.

Comment

It has turned out to be the good old favorite - user error!

What the user meant by connecting the VPN was:

1) Starting the laptop
            2) Logging in to windows (she said it failed at this point, which was wrong)
            3) Connecting the VPN
            4) Opening up a remote desktop shortcut to her PC in the office.

I had to point out that she can access her files without doing number 4 by clicking the shortcut next to that one.

Comment

PEBKAC
              Problem
              Exists
              Between
              Keyboard
              And
              Chair
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Normaly i call it the Trojan

Keeps Happening all the Time. I'm used to it as well

Regards
                Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  PEBKAC
                  Problem
                  Exists
                  Between
                  Keyboard
                  And
                  Chair
                  I always preferred PICNIC. Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

"Liveware upgrade required"
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The cluestick/cluebat is always an amusing option..

Comment

Working...
                      X