No announcement yet.

ESXi or Hyper-V for run SBS 2011 in VM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi or Hyper-V for run SBS 2011 in VM

Hello everyone, for now Iím running my SBS 2011 on a dedicated server, but I want to move it on VM (fresh install) . What will be the best platform; ESXi or Hyper-v on a 2008r2 server. Keep in mind that itís not a production server, only use in lab. I already have 2 others ESXi servers and I like the fact that I can launch the Vsphere client from a Windows 7 WS.

Re: ESXi or Hyper-V for run SBS 2011 in VM

In that case you've answered your own question

In a lab, doesnt really make a difference -- I prefer HyperV in this situation but that comes from familiarity with it when I don't know ESXi
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I just installed it on ESXI and have no problem until now

I make some progress in taking my decision, now that Iím able to open a console in Windows 7 for my Hyper-V VM. ( see my post in hyper-v section of the forum) here what I think Iím gone do;

I will use ESXi for host some Microsoft OS and use them for learn and make the exercise in Computers Books , I will do so from my house ( see at the bottom for explanation)

I will use a server with Hyper-V connected to a dedicated DSL line for my Experiment and access it mainly from My shop, but occasionally from the house

I own a small computer repair shop and itís located on a building 40 feet away from my house and connected together with wired network (underground)

I have mainly in the pass only residential and very small business customers, Iím setting up this lab for learn more about networking.