SBS 2003 and Windows Server Foundation 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 and Windows Server Foundation 2008

Hello guy's, i need some opinions here. There is a company that have 4 offices. The main one has an SBS2003 Premium. I want to put the other offices with fujitsu server with windows server foundation 2008, i dont need exchange on thos offices, just normal file and printer server with user rights and roaming profiles. My question is, im in the main office, and if i connect my pc with vpn to the office with windows foundation, that there will be a problem or conflict because of both of them beeing PDC ?

Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: SBS 2003 and Windows Server Foundation 2008

Are you saying the branch office has its own domain?
    If so, you will not be able to do anything since a trust is needed and SBS doesnt do trusts.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thx Ossian. Let's put it this way, Office A has a normal ADSL Line with sbs server 2003 premium where i work. Im loged in to the domain XYZA. Now what i need is to estabelish a vpn connection to Office B that is in the other side of the town, that has a Normal ADSL Line with a win server 2008 foundation, and the domain is XYZB. Both domains are different. what i want to do is from my pc connect to the office B and use the invoice software there. Now the question is if there will be any problem doing that , that way?

Comment

There is no problem there. But why didn't you make them both in domain A and setup a site-to-site VPN?
        It would have made everything easier to manage. Or are you over 15 users?
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger thx for the answer. In Office A i have about 13, and the Office B have about 8, so that will be over 15. I thought about that option before but, i found this in microsoft page:

Expected Behavior

Being licensed for 15 users Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation has the following expected behavior when joined to existing domains.

The system displays a warning message on the console if the number of users exceeds 15, or if added into an existing domain with greater than 15 users.

The server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation can only be joined at the root of the domain and can’t be used to create child domains. In case joined to a child domain or used to create a child domain the server will display a warning and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.

The domain containing Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation must not have trust relations with another domain. In case the domain does have trust relationships the server will display a warning message and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.

So probably ill keep it like this, and make foundation server as vpn server, or probably ill just make a vpn site-to-site like you said if there is no problem having both Primary domains, but what i know sbs 2003 has to be the only Domain controler in the network, is it correct saying this?

Best regards
          Kevin
          Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 1st May 2011, 23:23.

Comment

So that is the same domain option out the window! Bad luck or convince your boss to go for full Windows server as you'll save the money back in managing the system IMHO.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X