How to burn the SBS 2011 .ISO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to burn the SBS 2011 .ISO

I want to install SBS 2011 on a test platform so I downloaded the ISO from my TechNet subscription. The ISO is 6.6GB. How do I burn this to DVD? Thanks.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: How to burn the SBS 2011 .ISO

Burn it to an USB

Comment

You need a dual-layer disk and suitable burner. DL capacity is 8.5GB.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What gforce said. Other options are installing to a VM (You can mount an ISO directly as a drive) or using a program like WinRAR which can extract the ISO to a hard drive and then installing from that.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I am interested in doing a bare-metal install for this customer. I am wondering if I use the o/s install CD that comes with a new Dell server if I can point it to a USB drive with the ISO or extracted files? Worst case I guess I can buy a dual-layer burner.

Thanks,

Comment

It depends on the server, so I'd be surprised in an SBS environment, but some Dell DRAC cards can directly access an ISO and you can kick off the install that way. It's meant for DR, but I have used it for reinstalls too.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Are you doing a test build for yourself or an install for a customer? If the latter, Technet is NOT licensed for anything except in-house non-commercial use.

However, in general, any Server 2008 class OS will install from removable media such as USB stick -- just extract the ISO to the media and go...
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think the OP means can he use Open Manage or Server Assistant (SA) to kick off the installation. I think that depends on the server and the version of the SA as to whether it supports install from USB.
                Trawl the support.dell.com site for info.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You can do it with the command diskpart as I recently did exactly this. I created a bootable USB Hard drive and then uncompressed the iso from Technet onto the HDD

The following link is aimed at Windows 7/Vista but works for 2008/2010. The only caveat is that you have to run bootsect.exe from a CD that matches the machine you are using to create the bootable USB and not from the destination media. I first tried using bootsect.exe from the SBS 2011 image on my 32bit Win7 machine and it failed until I got a 32bit CD and used that bootsect.exe

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

There is a tool linked at the bottom of the page for automatically creating Win7 bootable drives but it doesn't work for other OS.

Comment

Dual Layer DVD should work.

Comment

I ended up burning it with a dual-layer DVD. The local computer shops said all DVD burnersu are now dual-layer but none of my Dell DVDs would burn dual layer or recognize an 8.5GB blank DVD.

I have a new Dell Precision T1500 (Jan 2011) that is my personal computer and it would not burn or recognize the DVD. I had a brand new, just out of the box OptiPlex 380 I was setting up for a customer and it would not recognize the DVD either. I ended up buying an LG DVD burner for $30 and putting that in my T1500.

I am anxious to receive my PE T410 which was shipped yesterday and installing SBS 2011. I have had SBS 2008 for the last several year. I have many SBS 2003 servers to replace this year. This is a test platform on my own soil.

Comment

I install mine from a bootable USB stick, since I can'T post a link (not 5 posts yet) google; install sbs 2011 from a usb ....the first link on top of the page is a good one that use diskpart

Comment

Originally posted by aqualab View Post
                          I install mine from a bootable USB stick, since I can'T post a link (not 5 posts yet) google; install sbs 2011 from a usb ....the first link on top of the page is a good one that use diskpart
                          http://www.nogeekleftbehind.com/2010...ble-usb-drive/
                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I wonder who actually came up with these instructions seen as they're pretty similar to the ones I posted up, just written a year later. I'd imagine there's ones created before the one I found too, yet none quote their source - typical!

Comment

Originally posted by beddo View Post
                              I wonder who actually came up with these instructions seen as they're pretty similar to the ones I posted up, just written a year later. I'd imagine there's ones created before the one I found too, yet none quote their source - typical!
                              My link directly refers to the domain name yours came from, so you decide

Comment

Working...
                              X